Chains and Turnbuckles for ladder stands

HuntinDawg89

I've seen a lot of talk about using chains and turnbuckles in place of ratchet straps on many different threads here and one pretty good diagram but no photos. Does anyone have any pictures?

Additionally, most seem to talk about drilling more holes in the stand. This concerns me because I don't want to weaken the stand. This makes me wonder why you couldn't just use carabiners or big S hooks AROUND the frame of the stand instead of drilling through the stand to attach the chain and turnbuckle?

What size chain do you guys prefer?

I have one double ladder stand for hunting with my kids and I'm about to buy some more.

Thanks for the input.

I buy a quality racket strap and not a cheap one. They are higher but much stronger than the box stores . I get mine from a manufacturer. Chains make noise creek and pop also rust. Never had a issue with a quality ratchet strap..

HuntinDawg89

I buy a quality racket strap and not a cheap one. They are higher but much stronger than the box stores . I get mine from a manufacturer. Chains make noise creek and pop also rust. Never had a issue with a quality ratchet strap..

I haven't had a problem either, but as some have pointed out, varmints can't chew through a chain.

I guess I have been really lucky ! In the 30 years I have been hunting I haven't had one chewed through. In sure there is always a first time . I guess you could add a chain and padlock to protect theft and at the same time prevent it from falling of that did accur my two cents anyway

glynr329

I have used many chains and buckles with no problem. I get plenty of the big 2" straps and cut them to the size I want. That is what I use those now. There is no way I would trust one of those 1" wide straps 20 to 25'. Pretty sure the only way my stand is coming down is the tree fall with it.

Deernut3

I use a Heim joint, J-bolt and 3/8 chain. That way it accounts for varying angles of different size trees and its easy to let out a little so your chain wont grow in the tree.

riprap

Nothing gets it as tight to the tree as a chain and a turnbuckle.

This...no creaking if it's tight enough.

Though it's not a good idea to put a ladder stand up by yourself, I have used a ratchet strap halfway up the ladder to pull the stand snug to the tree while connecting the chain at the platform.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
My buddy and I used chains and turn buckles up until about 15 years ago then switched to quality ratchet straps and renewed them every other years. Never had a problem with any of them for the last 15 years. I just got 4 new ones to have on hand incase we might need to renew one on a ladder stand that needs another one on the top. When we moved it at the end of last season the strap got folded and wouldn't tighten all the way so we decided to put another one on and then take the lose one off. This will be easy and much safer then trying to fix the other one. When using the chains we had more problems trying to adjust them while up high in a tree than we have had with the ratchet straps.

gt40

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have been using chains and the large size turnbuckles (with the open end hooks on each ends) on my ladder stands for several years now. They stay snug and super tight and the stands are very stable with no movement at all. They do not shift at all and do not make squeaking noises etc either. It is just like being on the ground as far as stability goes. I loosen them just a little after each season to allow for the tree growing process during the summer and I re-tighten each one of them before the new season starts.

All of my stands are secured to fairly large diameter trees and I also have a lock on each stand by using a larger size chain. I painted the chains and the large turnbuckles a camo color and they blend in perfectly as all of my stands are also camo painted as well.

I do not trust any type of cloth strap at all due to weather related decay. Best to be safe than sorry in the long run. This way, you only have to buy the safety features required one time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Only way to go. And no need to drill holes.

JoPa

I think the chain and turnbuckle hold the stand tighter and are actually easier to put up and take down. I do paint them when I put up a new one. I use the ones that have the hook on the end, it's not hard to wrap the chain around the stand and get the hook to hold while you tighten the turnbuckle. Be careful not to bend the hooks by over tightening.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Quality ratchet straps here. Never had a problem but we take our ladders down at the end of the season and put them back up just before the archery opener.

HOBO

Chains & Turnbuckles vs Ratchet Straps

I use both with equally great results!!

They both get the job done without any problems...

I use the turn-buckles with chains primarily to prevent high winds from turning over my larger 4x4 tower box stands which are 10-12 feet high... I bury the mobile home type auger anchors as deep as I can and use chains attached to each of the four legs along with the turn-buckles to keep the stands secure...

I prefer using the larger ratchet straps to secure my ladder stands to the tree... I usually use one or two at the top of the stand around the stand then another about half way up to keep the knee brace tight between the tree and the stand...

They work for me!!!

Gumpbuck

I like the straps. With any stand, you should be inspecting it regularly to make sure all is well anyway. The better straps seem to hold up just fine for me.
On my ladder stands, I replace the "ropes" that come with the stand and use ratchet straps in a criss/cross method to secure the upper and mid-points of the stand. Once at the top, I use the supplied ratchet strap to secure the top. Between the top and the criss/cross straps, I have three total straps that are securing the stand to the tree. I have found this to be a very secure and rock-solid way to install a ladder stand.

muzzy17is

I've always used straps but I have used a chain/ turnbuckle on the top bar and strap on the bottom of my buddy stands. Works just fine.

frosty20

I've always used straps but I do inspect them every use.

Sams Club sells a 4 pack of 2" wide ones for $20. I have used these for years for lots of uses and they are a great product