Cherokee 12ga 32” single shot……any ideas?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I need another Turkey gun and I’m trying to find out if I already have it. I know little about this one, other than it came from my wife’s grandpa, passed down to my son from his grandpa. Grandparents never hunted that we knew of. They just like to fish and kill the hawks that ate his coy fish. Only markings I can find are the logo on the side that says Cherokee and the number behind the trigger guard…….is it scratched off? I think I’m gonna put this one on paper and see what a few different loads look like. It’s a smooth unthreaded bore.
Pics coming.

Hillbilly stalker

If that's an older shotgun, you might wanna have it checked out first. Reason I say that is because I did the same thing with a old Winchester single barrel. I reckon turkey shells are a lot hotter than regular high brass. I shot mine one time and it broke something in the action where it breaks down. And that's when Winchester still made quality guns, not any China metal in them. Had to take it to the gunsmith , it cost me $75. That old metal may have been stressed over the years and finally gave. Parts are hard to find and you cannot replace the gun. Just food for thought.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
From a quick search…..

”The name Cherokee Arms Co. was used by C. M. McClung Co. of Knoxville, Tn. H & D Folsom was a supplier to the company and their main source of U. S. shotguns was their own company, Crescent Arms Co. Folsom also supplied imported shotguns ( read Belgium ) for their customers. Note, Trade names lists are not complete and probably never will be. McClune's was not married to Folsom, they could and probably did order shotguns from who ever had the best price. The name Cherokee was roll marked on all of them.Crescent shotguns can be researched for their different grades but if different suppliers were involved then you have a lot of researching to do. There are no witten records to go by and even the experts have been worng more than once. ( Some times it's a guessing game ).”

Blackston

Looks like some trauma already? Like stated before Turkey loads kick !!!!

Attachments

• 4311F594-CA5E-4518-AC17-020A76145FB0.jpeg
    4311F594-CA5E-4518-AC17-020A76145FB0.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 35

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Id try it maybe it will patern ( I’ve got one similar that shoots like a blunderbuss lol )
Oh I plan on it. There is an abundance of wear all over the stock and the slide /unlocking lever has side to side play, but not loose. It feels solid as a rock when closing it. We’ve shot it before and no fear of shooting it again. I’ve got lots of different 12 ga shells to try.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Looks like some trauma already? Like stated before Turkey loads kick !!!!
That grinding? It’s underneath too. What is that? Looks like someone added bronze to it or something…..it is chincey looking

Hillbilly stalker

After seeing it...I would not. Notice the small crack at the base of the receiver and where someone has ground the metal ? That's heat stress. That crack is likely to run the grain out the side of the stock. I wouldn't risk ruining that old gun. Crescent made the old "White powder wonder" I put on here awhile back. No parts available.

Blackston

That grinding? It’s underneath too. What is that? Looks like someone added bronze to it or something…..it is chincey looking
If it’s brass like looking it’s probably been brazed ( welding for cast type metals ) …. That tells me it’s broke before….I was talking about the splitting of the stock I didn’t see the tool marks

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ya'll do realize that there is no law saying that you have to turkey hunt with "turkey shells?" Bazillions of turkeys were killed long before they had 3 1/2" composite loads with a turkey picture on the box. A 2 3/4" high brass load of #6s will still kill a turkey graveyard dead today just like it would a couple decades ago.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Ya'll do realize that there is no law saying that you have to turkey hunt with "turkey shells?" Bazillions of turkeys were killed long before they had 3 1/2" composite loads with a turkey picture on the box. A 2 3/4" high brass load of #6s will still kill a turkey graveyard dead today just like it would a couple decades ago.
You testing me? Lol ::ke: I certainly do realize it and I wouldn’t shoot a nitro Turkey shell out of it…etc.. I’ve shot it before and I’m not afraid of it….I do respect it though! I know it’s not a toy and a 12ga is no joke!
I’ve got some high brass #6 dove loads I bet would work too! I dunno, but I need another shotgun. Not having mine this weekend is harder than I thought. I could be in the woods right now while she sleepsfacepalm:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would get a new single barrel as said a new stevens 301 20ga. You can put a red dot on it. Or a little shotgun scope. If it didn’t shoot true down the barrel.
My wife’s stoger is a turkey killing machine. Right down the rib.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
You testing me? Lol ::ke: I certainly do realize it and I wouldn’t shoot a nitro Turkey shell out of it…etc.. I’ve shot it before and I’m not afraid of it….I do respect it though! I know it’s not a toy and a 12ga is no joke!
I’ve got some high brass #6 dove loads I bet would work too! I dunno, but I need another shotgun. Not having mine this weekend is harder than I thought. I could be in the woods right now while she sleepsfacepalm:
I am shotgun poor as they say. Lols.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I`ve killed turkeys with #8 shot back in the day. Before there was such a thing as "turkey loads" I preferred plain old high brass #6 shot.

Never had a problem with any load I used, but then, like now, I was mindful of distance.