Cherokee Trophy Water

Tonyf6188

Several of us are headed to the trophy waters in Cherokee
Feb 18-21. Any suggestions on the most common flies used
around there? Any suugestions or help are greatly appreciated!

RScott

Great place

You will enjoy it, make sure you carry enough 3X tippet. Pink San Juans, pink / peach eggs were the ticket a few weeks ago. If they don't work, throw the biggest streamers you have.

RScott

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it's best not to use what everyone else is. Those fish have seen enough beadhead prince nymphs and the other common patterns to have the serial numbers on the hooks memorized. Try fuzzy-looking nymphs with lots of yellow or tan, usually works.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
size 20-24 black and rainbow midges... and I would make sure you have some 20-24 bwo's as well. I saw several pigs sipping those a few weeks ago.

luv2drum

WINMAG.300 has been up there several times with good results. You might want to send him a pm.

overbrook

I found that the fish were'nt so picky as to what fly....but if you catch a fish...cut that fly off and tie on something completely different....they would'nt hit the same fly twice ( I mean you could try it an hour or two later....but don't keep using it immediately after catching a fish) its like they communicate with each other....but have a memory of only an hour or so.

Tonyf6188

I appreciate all the replies. any body going to be up there around the same time? Thanks

WinMag.300

Ah yes

Good ole Cherokee....I should be back up soon. wink wink lol. I will pm if you works out to be your weekend.

Flies. A lot of different patterns work. BWO were coming off last time I was there as well and they were rising to them. I use egg patterns first thing, sanjuans if rains have been recent, and then staple fly patterns. If the sky is overcast stay with darker flies, like red copper johns, pts, wired stones, etc...if the sun is out add a litttle flash Rainbow warriors, flashback pts, lightning bugs, etc. Size is most crucial. Stick with size 16 and smaller on nymphs and have a good supply of patterns in sze 18-22. Streamers are a must as well. Sex dungeon, zoo cougars, sculpzillas etc. The big boys will nail streamers! If you use an indicator go with a white thingamabobber as it immitates a foam bubble and less likely to let the fish know what is up.

Setups I like........

Weighted Kaufman stone with 1-2 bb shot off the indicator. A rainbow warrior or small pt dropped off the back of that. I start sz 16 and keep going smaller. A pink eggpattern with anymph drpper the same way has produced as well. Changing flies is critical. I will only send the same fly setup in two-three times after I catch a fish before I change up.