Chestnut acorns

sghoghunter

My trees are starting to dip and I’ve got plans to pick them up before the squirrels get to them and try to grow some next spring. I’m picking up a few every day and wondering how I need to store them till they go in the fridge

Attachments

• 71668460194__7A8EA7A5-AD75-416C-A01A-8BE6EA6709AF.jpeg
    71668460194__7A8EA7A5-AD75-416C-A01A-8BE6EA6709AF.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 66

Big7

The Oracle
Those things sure are pretty. You don't often see something that looks that glossy and polished in nature.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Keep them dry, cool and dark. Then you can stratify them in the fridge when you get ready.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My brother in law planted hundreds of them. We planted 200 of them in the field here where I live, orchard pattern. They did great for 2-3 years then were attacked by Asian Ambrosia beetles. They killed 90% of the existing trees, but they all sprouted back. I’d recommend spraying them early every spring with an insecticide until they’re hard barked.
He also used 2 inch pvc cut to 18 inches to start the seedlings. Promotes a longer tap root for transplanting. Good luck!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Chestnut oaks (mountain oaks) have large single acorns with a cap on each one like all acorns.
Chestnuts are several nuts apiece in that hairy, sticky cap.
I can't tell exactly what the OP has.because thumbnails don't expand on a cell phone I reckon.
Looks like chestnuts to me though...not acorns.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I figured that much. Lols just cutting up. I’d love to have a few trees starting in the field. Guess I need to start some to.

OffTheBeatnPath

Do the deer prefer them?
Planted 12 in the spring and 7 of the 5 gallon ones and 5 of the 7 gallon buckets. They've done real well so far

basshappy

BANNED
Do the deer prefer them?
Planted 12 in the spring and 7 of the 5 gallon ones and 5 of the 7 gallon buckets. They've done real well so far

Will depend on your Chestnut Oaks, your deer, and other sources of food in your area really.

Online information indicates Chestnut Oaks are not high on the white oak list for deer in terms of preference, and unripe acorns are lower in preference versus ripe acorns, but on our land the deer are passing by white oak acorns and red oak acorns and beech nuts to devour unripe Chestnut Oak acorns.

OffTheBeatnPath

Will depend on your Chestnut Oaks, your deer, and other sources of food in your area really.

Online information indicates Chestnut Oaks are not high on the white oak list for deer in terms of preference, and unripe acorns are lower in preference versus ripe acorns, but on our land the deer are passing by white oak acorns and red oak acorns and beech nuts to devour unripe Chestnut Oak acorns.
I planted them on a field edge that borders a big stand of white / red oaks that was thinned last year.
I want to say I only paid $15 a tree, so I figured I’d try them out seeing how people say they produce chestnuts pretty quickly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Around here, they don't usually eat the chestnut oak acorns until everything else is gone.