Quickest Acorn Production

sportsman94

I know this isn’t groundbreaking to most folks, but I was impressed. I was walking around a property where I have some 3 year old dwarf chinkapin oaks. These were planted with some Allegheny to create a screen around a food plot of hedges. I haven’t maintained the area like I planned and now I have a hedge consisting of beauty berry, brambles, and about every other species of early successional plant you can imagine. I waded through the mess trying to find the trees I had planted and was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. The Allegheny chinquapins were about 5.5 foot tall and the one dwarf chestnut oak I located had acorns trying to start. Excited to see how these do going forward

IMG_7995.jpeg

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Good deal, I’d love to have more variety on my place. I’m gonna have to quit putting it off and get some more trees.

sportsman94

Good deal, I’d love to have more variety on my place. I’m gonna have to quit putting it off and get some more trees.

I’ve spent a small fortune on tree planting. Mostly throw them out and wish them luck style plantings that mostly end up dying. This particular property is close enough to the house for me to somewhat maintain and I’ve really only lost a few trees. So far it has pears, crabapples, chestnuts, and sawtooths in addition to the allegheny chinquapin and dwarf chinkapin oak. Plus a bunch of persimmons that are growing wild. I try to make it a point to buy a handful of trees each year so I can hedge bets against losses

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I’ve got a small handful of sawtooth, chest nut and Kieffer pears growing. I planted two overcup oaks and 2 Scarlett oaks last year just for the heck of it. I’ll be an old man before they produce, but hopefully my boys will benefit from them. I’ve been using the hack and squirt along with fire more recently, cheaper than trees and my place needs some thick cover bad.