Christensen arms Ridgeline

Bobby Bigtime

I took my daughter's new Ridgeline in 270 win to the range yesterday to dial it in. I brought four different factory loads and the gun really only liked the Norma 130 grain. I was wondering if these rifles are picky or if it needs a bit of breaking in. The scope is a vortex viper 4x16. The set up is very nice and the average group was about 2 inches with the exception of the Norma with came in under an inch. I would appreciate some input from you folks with some knowledge.

FlipKing

I took my daughter's new Ridgeline in 270 win to the range yesterday to dial it in. I brought four different factory loads and the gun really only liked the Norma 130 grain. I was wondering if these rifles are picky or if it needs a bit of breaking in. The scope is a vortex viper 4x16. The set up is very nice and the average group was about 2 inches with the exception of the Norma with came in under an inch. I would appreciate some input from you folks with some knowledge.
I have a 6.5 Ridgeline and I had a .308 Ridgeline. My 6.5 is a laser. I love it. Half moa rifle, super awesome.

My .308 Ridgeline shot smks at half moa and wouldn't shoot any of the 10+ hunting loads I tried. I sold it and got a Waypoint.

The only other advice I have is see what ammo CA recommends for it. That may help find something that works for you.

Last edited:

Dub

Admittedly, I was out of the loop on bolt action rifles for a long time.....Had a couple that handled the infrequent use I give 'em and didn't really stay current on what was what.

Was aware of the rise to popularity of Tikka......knew that Remington had crashed....knew Bergara was gaining momentum, etc.

Years pass......I finally start looking what is available and I see an explosion of Christensen Arms rifles on every online dealers listings....EVERY ONE OF THEM.
Dizzying array of models.
Premium prices, modern features, etc.

I asked around and none of the guys I used to hunt with had tried them.

I'm not in the market for a rifle, but am interested in learning more about them from owner's perspectives, reviews and range reports.

Sorry @Bobby Bigtime , I don't have anything to add....just sitting on the sidelines and learning.

Thanks.

Bobby Bigtime

I wouldn't be in the market for one myself as they are a bit rich for my blood and I have the regular rifles I like. The Ridgeline is a very nice rifle super lightweight, a fabulous trigger and obviously accurate providing it likes the ammo. Although I have not owned a 270 myself, I have always liked them. My daughter hunts deer, antelope and elk regularly and I think the rifle, scope and caliber was a good choice. I would be happier if it was more forgiving on loads. I am looking forward to load development. Finding what it likes can get a bit expensive right now.

Reactions: Dub

Robert28

I have yet to find a gun that didn’t shoot Norma ammo well. My Bergara is a laser with it and just does 1-1.5moa with other stuff. But with Norma the holes cover each other pretty much.

Robert28

Admittedly, I was out of the loop on bolt action rifles for a long time.....Had a couple that handled the infrequent use I give 'em and didn't really stay current on what was what.

Was aware of the rise to popularity of Tikka......knew that Remington had crashed....knew Bergara was gaining momentum, etc.

Years pass......I finally start looking what is available and I see an explosion of Christensen Arms rifles on every online dealers listings....EVERY ONE OF THEM.
Dizzying array of models.
Premium prices, modern features, etc.

I asked around and none of the guys I used to hunt with had tried them.

I'm not in the market for a rifle, but am interested in learning more about them from owner's perspectives, reviews and range reports.

Sorry @Bobby Bigtime , I don't have anything to add....just sitting on the sidelines and learning.

Thanks.
Yeah the rifle category has changed dramatically recently in the last few years. Names you didn’t heard about 5-10 years ago are now dominating it. Another rifle maker that’s coming on strong is Fierce firearms. I’m a Bergara man myself but with Bergara, Tikka, Christensen and Fierce out there it’s almost like old school names like Remington got left behind.

TJay

I have an '06 that is persnickety about ammo and my handloads weren't much better. A friend recommended Choice Ammunition in Victor Montana and that's what I use now. It is expensive but they have lots of choices and it is handloaded ammunition. Just another option for you.

SC Hunter

I've heard alot of folks on other forums say that either their good and shoot excellent or their bad and MAY like 1 certain loading. My buddy has a 26 nosler that shoots anything he feeds it and does it well. The way I look at it is if I'm spending that kind of money on a rifle I don't want to have to shoot 15 different loadings to find 1 that will shoot decent. If you reload that wouldn't be an issue, once you find what it likes make 300 of that loading and your good to go.

Bobby Bigtime

I've heard alot of folks on other forums say that either their good and shoot excellent or their bad and MAY like 1 certain loading. My buddy has a 26 nosler that shoots anything he feeds it and does it well. The way I look at it is if I'm spending that kind of money on a rifle I don't want to have to shoot 15 different loadings to find 1 that will shoot decent. If you reload that wouldn't be an issue, once you find what it likes make 300 of that loading and your good to go.
I agree I would be upset with a one trick pony

FlipKing

ssramage

I've always liked the looks of the Ridgeline but can't bring myself to spend the money on one based on reviews like this (which are not uncommon). Seems like a rifle demanding this kind of premium would not have the variability in results.

Bobby Bigtime

I've always liked the looks of the Ridgeline but can't bring myself to spend the money on one based on reviews like this (which are not uncommon). Seems like a rifle demanding this kind of premium would not have the variability in results.
My thoughts exactly

Deerhead

Been shopping for a new CA Ridgeline. On thing I have learned is the breakin is important. After the breakin it is a tack driver. My hunting buddy has one in 308. With handloads its 1/2" moa. I'll give Norma ammo a try.

Dean

6.5 PRC Ridgeline...tack driver, sub MAO in my experience. Hornady 143gr.
For what it's worth, I do recall (if memory correct?) reading that sub Moa for Christensen rifles only guaranteed with 'factory loads'.... referenced too many variables in handloads to guarantee sub MOA

Bobby Bigtime

I am pretty close to following the break in process they recommend but not exact.will shoot some more loads this weekend and see if they improve.

Darkhorse

I don't care if a new rifle is a one trick pony or not. Just as long as it shoots that pony consistently into 1/2 or less. With my handloads. A rifle of mine is unlikely to ever see a factory round.

Reactions: Dub

Bobby Bigtime

I don't care if a new rifle is a one trick pony or not. Just as long as it shoots that pony consistently into 1/2 or less. With my handloads. A rifle of mine is unlikely to ever see a factory round.
I'm looking forward to loading for her gun. It should do a lot better for sure. The idea of them picking the 270 was to use different weights to cover the variety of game she hunts in a season from antelope, mule deer, whitetail, elk, bear etc... The 130 grain can cover most of it though. But it would be a comfort to be able to select some different bullet weights. I am well into the break in process and she has tightened up quite a bit and is acceptable with a couple of those other loads, just not as well as I was hoping for in a rifle that expensive.