Church attendance required by Scripture?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
WWJD?

Jesus said his yoke is easy and his burden is light.

For example, while Jesus was willing to bear the yoke of the law of Moses, he was not willing to insist that all of his followers be under the law of Moses.

I often ask whether my expectations for other believers could be characterized as an "easy yoke" and "light burden."

Or have I become a Pharisaical bully better characterized by Jesus' words, "They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them."

When in doubt, I remember that my goal is carrying out the Great Commission and teaching Christ's commands. If an instruction is clearly a command of Christ, then it falls under his "easy yoke" and "light burden." But if I have added human wisdom, man's tradition, or other ideas, I run a risk of applying a yoke that is heavier and more burdensome that what Christ would have a believer follow.

You did not answer my question, and I think it speaks to the very heart of the matter.

You should not TEACH Christ's commands if you don't understand the underpinning behind them or their purpose. To do so is akin to captaining a ship not knowing from where you set sail, where you are, or where you're going.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

You did not answer my question, and I think it speaks to the very heart of the matter.

I will answer your question when you answer mine that you have been ignoring.

Israel

BANNED
It's great when we meet together like this...each has psalm, a hymn, a revelation...

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Just curious, where/how do Christians who don't attend church pay their tithes?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

oh, quit being so legalistic... Jesus did command us to pay tithes. <sarc>

Israel

BANNED

I'm not sure a christian would tell you where (or how much) they give anymore than he would boast of his liberty to enjoy ribs or shrimp.

After all, if his own right hand does not know what his left is doing in these matters...how could he know to tell anyone else?

It seems in all we may neglect the possibility (could it be possible?) that merely "coming together" may not be always the Lord's gathering in spirit?

Paul said something. Was it necessary? If he said it and it therefore was necessary...should we spare ourselves the asking "why"...to whom...for what?
Where could it apply? Where does it? And why?

Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.

I can only think that what has convinced itself it is always coming together for the better simply because it comes together must be what is being addressed.

It couldn't be to those whose sole reliance was upon the Lord's sole approval, not taking anything to themselves by their practice...but seeing it always as gift of grace.

Like Peter's boasting and denials, those poor Corinthians have suffered being the poorest example (or best, depending) of such a messed up congregation of folks that ever lent themselves to a sermon.

Ummm. maybe not?

Is there an obedience of faith, does this mean it does not exist, cannot be...practiced?

I tend to think there's a lot more to be understood about that right hand/left hand thing in anything we may think we "do for the Lord".

LittleDrummerBoy

One thing I have noticed is that churches that tend to view regular church as a Christian "duty" tend to be stuck in dated traditions that yield experiences less likely to meet the real spiritual needs of attendees. They also tend to think lack of attendance is more likely due to flaws in the character of the flock rather than flaws in the ministry offered in church. My view is that churches would do better to question whether the ministry they provide is meeting the real spiritual needs of the sheep.

Some observations:
1. Members of the flock under 50 or so are not going to be as responsive to music that is over 100 years old.
2. Once people are born again, they don't benefit from the vast majority of sermon time being focused on trying to get people to pray the sinner's prayer.
3. As believers mature in the Lord, they benefit less from sermons that rarely go beyond "Christianity 101".
4. Large segments of 21st Century Christianity tend to focus sermons on "what to believe" rather than "how to behave (or how to obey)."
5. When sermons do focus on behavior (or obedience) they tend to be overly focused on how to contribute to church ministries rather than other areas of obedience. This emphasis seems self-serving.
6. I've known a number of preachers now where there are rapidly diminishing returns for the flock after hearing 50 or so sermons. Regardless of the texts they choose, their interpretations and illustrations rarely bring forth new information for the hearer. Some are even preaching the same sermons again every 50-100 sermons.
7. Unbiblical judgement and gossip are rampant. Smoking, drinking, tattoos, clothing, child raising, church attendance, giving, volunteering, and other things often come under a microscope.
8. Hypocrisy is rampant. Many churches are quick to judge some behaviors (drinking, homosexuality), but you'll never hear a sermon on others (divorce, gluttony), because preaching on divorce and gluttony would actually address sins present in an important part of the congregation.
9. Rather than "feed the sheep and "prepare God's people for works of service"Churches attempt to exercise directive authority (boss people around) beyond the Biblical sphere of church authority in people's lives.

Those in leadership at a church would do well to review the above list and as themselves what things their church can do better to meet the needs of the flock and stop driving people away.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

Is there a chapter and verse directing Christians to pay tithes to a local church they personally attend? I know of one Christian who pays their tithes to Samaritan's Purse. Others pay tithes to churches they formerly attended. Others tithe in support of other Christian ministries such as Family Talk with Dr. James Dobson. Others use their tithes in direct support of missionaries or missionary agencies. Once when we were between churches, my wife and I tithed to a Messianic Jewish group. We usually just keep tithing to our former church until we find a longer term newer one, but in cases where we leave for poor pastoral conduct (tolerating adultery), we stop tithing immediately.

Spineyman

One thing I have noticed is that churches that tend to view regular church as a Christian "duty" tend to be stuck in dated traditions that yield experiences less likely to meet the real spiritual needs of attendees. They also tend to think lack of attendance is more likely due to flaws in the character of the flock rather than flaws in the ministry offered in church. My view is that churches would do better to question whether the ministry they provide is meeting the real spiritual needs of the sheep.
If anyone is attending worship for the purpose of spiritual boo boo healing then they are going for the wrong reason, period. We go ( command ) because the Lord of all Creation bids us come. He calls all of us to " come and dine". It is not optional it is ordered by Christ. He is building His Church and the gates of **** shall not prevail against it.

Artfuldodger

If anyone is attending worship for the purpose of spiritual boo boo healing then they are going for the wrong reason, period. We go ( command ) because the Lord of all Creation bids us come. He calls all of us to " come and dine". It is not optional it is ordered by Christ. He is building His Church and the gates of **** shall not prevail against it.
But by the same token, one should feel the Spirit or find another Church.

Israel

BANNED
If there is no joy [in], is there righteousness [in]?

Paul said:

“Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.”

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
If anyone is attending worship for the purpose of spiritual boo boo healing then they are going for the wrong reason, period.

Agree completely.

We go ( command ) because the Lord of all Creation bids us come. He calls all of us to " come and dine". It is not optional it is ordered by Christ. He is building His Church and the gates of **** shall not prevail against it.

Disagree to a large degree. If we go, it SHOULD be out of a love of God and a love of our Brothers and Sisters........an actual DESIRE to worship God in a communal way, witness and hear others witness, and learn about God through instruction. I think anyone going out of a sense of duty or compunction is missing the spirit of meeting entirely.

Madman

My view is that while attendance in a Bible believing and teaching church is certainly wise and advisable, it does not seem to be required by Scripture.

The oft cited "Do not give up meeting together" (Heb 10:25) can be satisfied with gatherings with other Christians in other venues that may not be traditional American churches. Some examples might be home gatherings, fellowship over meals, and other places where Christians might meet together, study the Bible, worship, pray, and consider how to fulfill the great commission.

I will also note that I've seen nothing in the 21st century American church to suggest it is any better than the 1st century church. If one reads Revelation 2-3, one sees that Jesus had strong words of rebuke for 6 of 7 churches addressed.

Given these facts, it seems odd that Christians are so quick to judge other Christians' spirituality by their church attendance. Sure, we are instructed to judge trees by their fruit, but if church attendance is not even demanded by Scripture, there are many character issues that would be a higher priority - you know the things that are actually required by Scripture.
Why would a member of the "family of God" not want to meet with "the family of God" for worship? The church has been God's vehicle to bestow his graces on his people since it's beginning.

LittleDrummerBoy

Why would a member of the "family of God" not want to meet with "the family of God" for worship? The church has been God's vehicle to bestow his graces on his people since it's beginning.

The question is why those meetings with the family of God for worship really need to be in formal church meetings rather than other venues. The "church" is the entire family of God, regardless of whether the meeting is in a formal or informal venue.