Cost of processing

Baroque Brass

I did find it a little odd that two hams and two shoulders yielded thirty pounds of meat. Not 28, not 31 but an even thirty. It’s all good, I plan to cook some sausage for breakfast in just a little while.

Mauser

Time to wake and bake goobers. Got 4 to cut up for jerky today. Got a cup of my wife’s atomic coffee, good gracious it’ll cure what ales ya. It’ll float a 50cent piece as grandaddy used to say. If ya ain’t doing it yo self you don’t need to be huntin. Just joking,I don’t care what yall do. Just be blastin kill em all. That is all carry on. Maybe I’ll put up some jerky pics later

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
My guy has a great setup and told me he did 5100 deer last season. Looks like he may top that this year. I think that puts him grossing around a million dollars. Not sure what he nets, but he has around 15-20 employees back there working this time of year. He’s been in business for a long time.
He charges $200 per deer?

buckpasser

He charges $200 per deer?

I bet that’s the average. They sell a pile of summer sausage, snack sticks, meatloaf, caping fees, and other “fancy” things. I usually spend between $110-$170 with them for what I want.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I bet that’s the average. They sell a pile of summer sausage, snack sticks, meatloaf, caping fees, and other “fancy” things. I usually spend between $110-$170 with them for what I want.
10-4, those fancy sausages and such add up quick

sleepr71

Ehh…As long as local processors continue to do a good job,at a reasonable cost…it makes no sense for me to build a processing shed & buy the equipment. Not when we only kill 1-2 deer per year. By the time I go through the process,and have to clean the kitchen+ equipment..etc,etc…it’s just not worth the hassle. I may feel different when I hit retirement & kids are grown..and I have a lot more free time.

mar0311

A couple of weeks ago I got a nice doe. We quartered it and packed it in ice for a few days to drain, then made the tenderloins into cubed steak. I took the hams and shoulders to the processor to make into patty and smoked link sausage. They notified me that it’s ready, at a cost of $134.70! That’s about twice what I was expecting to pay. I’d hate to see the cost of processing for and entire deer that hadn’t even been skinned.
Processor should have given you a reduced price or you missed the chance to negotiate! Do it yourself with a small investment in a grinder.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I used to take mine to a processor when I started deer hunting because I didn't know how to DIY and didn't have the tools. I figured it out and got the tools and it's been DIY ever since. Like others have said it's fulfilling, you know you got your deer as well as all of your deer and it only costs a little of your time to do it.

My wife informed me yesterday I'm not allowed to use her kitchen to process deer anymore. I got news for her. My added incentive to DIY is the cooler near me stays full all season long. They post on Faceplant when they can take more but if you aren't pulling up to their dock when they post it you'll get turned away because they are full again.

Lots of people prefer the processor over DIY. I'm cool with that. America is still a somewhat free country and it's your money to do with as you like. Makes no nevermind to me. It all still tastes like venison regardless of who was holding the knife and cutting the meat.

Lilly001

As I age I am learning that it’s OK to allow others to earn a living doing stuff for you that you no longer can or want to do.
Also it is convenient to load the deer in the truck (I just bought a new hoist to do that easier) and drop it off at the processor about a mile away. And then ( a couple weeks later) pick up a vacuum packed bag(s) of deer meat.
But I have done my own, and have good memories from it.
Like the time I brought two home an hour after dark and Wifey and I stayed up to debone and wrap both deer.
She warned me to NEVER do that again.

sleepr71

I got this wealthy relative that has a place up there. Mentioned it since it is my only real connection with NC.

Go up there in the early Fall & eat at the country club/resort restaurant,ON the Lake. I forget the name..but it’s right on the Lake,and open to the public (reservations required). There was a family out in their 1950’s Chris Craft pulling kids & cruising the Lake while we ate & soaked up the scenery. Americana :cheers:

frankwright

Deer summer sausage is the best. I've been using the Hi Mountain kits but am going to try this parchment paper technique instead of using casings one day.
I made Summer Sausage for the first time a month ago. I used mostly deer, some wild hog and a little hog fat from the butcher.
I used the PS Seasoning kit and made the jalapeno sausage.

I was nervous and it came out great and is all gone. Everyone I let have some is asking for more.
I smoked it on my Big Green Egg but might get an electric smoker just for easier temp control.
Good Luck!

frankwright

As I age I am learning that it’s OK to allow others to earn a living doing stuff for you that you no longer can or want to do.
Also it is convenient to load the deer in the truck (I just bought a new hoist to do that easier) and drop it off at the processor about a mile away. And then ( a couple weeks later) pick up a vacuum packed bag(s) of deer meat.
But I have done my own, and have good memories from it.
Like the time I brought two home an hour after dark and Wifey and I stayed up to debone and wrap both deer.
She warned me to NEVER do that again.
My hunting partner and his wife fed their family of four with many deer every year. They cut, ground and wrapped it all.
Now that the kids are out of the house his Wife said just pay the processor.
He did for three or four years but two of our close processors closed and the prices are getting crazy.
He bought a big grinder and a big food sealer and they are at it again.
He can skin and quarter a deer in 15 or 20 minute, has a fridge for aging and takes him maybe an hour to cut it all up into steaks or roast or to grind.
I have not taken one to a processor in the last few years. My friends and family want mostly jerky anyway and now Summer Sausage..

Dr. Strangelove

Pretty sure that the first time I’ve ever heard Toxaway used as a landmark. Lol
Toxaway? That's pretty close to the swingin' burg of Rosman. US Route 178 ends there, or begins, depending on your particular point of view. It's a happenin' town.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
They bought a very nice home on the lake 30 years ago before new purchasers started bulldozing the older places to build mansions. It's crazy up there now but still beautiful.

From his deck their view across the lake is the Greystone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I got this wealthy relative that has a place up there. Mentioned it since it is my only real connection with NC.
Toxaway is about an hour and a half from here. It's where the rich folks from somewhere else live, for the most part.