Creek/River Edge Plants

Bucaramus

What type of grass/plant is this that's growing near a pretty decent size creek? From creek it's probably 30-40 yards wide available follows the creek. Do deer graze it?20240426_101614.jpg

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of it in my area around the creek’s . I don’t really think it’s a preferred food source but I’d bet they’ll eat it . Sure makes finding trails easy this time of the year

Bucaramus

I've seen plenty of trails running through it but I don't think I've ever seed deer eat any. I'd like to plant something they will eat if at all possible. We had areas like this on an old lease in Elbert county too.

DSGB

Looks like Japanese stiltgrass - highly invasive.

The plant was accidentally introduced into the U.S. state of Tennessee around 1919 as a result of being used as a packing material in shipments of porcelain from China. It has spread throughout the Southeastern U.S. and is now found in 26 states.[4] Microstegium vimineum most commonly invades along roads, floodplain and other disturbed areas, but will also invade undisturbed habitats.[5][6][7] Whitetail deer, which do not browse the grass, may facilitate spread by browsing on native species and thereby reducing competition for the exotic plant.[8] Invasion of Microstegium can reduce growth and flowering of native species,[9] suppress native plant communities,[10] alter and suppress insect communities,[11] slow plant succession[12] and alter nutrient cycling.[13][14] Removal of Microstegium can lead to recovery of native plant communities.[15][16][17]

DSGB

What would you spray it with?

https://site.extension.uga.edu/townsandunionag/2019/10/controlling-invasive-plants/
Japanese stiltgrass will put on seedheads during the fall. The seeds are small, light colored, and sticky. Controlling it can be very challenging. In lawns, herbicides or hand pulling can be done. A pre-emergent herbicide that is also effective against crabgrass will prevent it from germinating. A product with the active ingredient prodiamine will work. Japanese stiltgrass germinates earlier than crabgrass so the application would need to be done in early march. In forested areas there are no herbicides labelled for use. That means that you will have to either hand pull or cut it back in the fall before it goes to seed. Most likely, there is already seed stored in the soil; therefore, you will need to cut it back several years in a row to deplete the soil seed bank.

Bucaramus

I read that mowing before it seeds works and that herbicides approved for wetlands could be used. Think I'll just mow it, till it and plant. Said I'll likely have to deal with it for 3-5 years but mowing will eventually eradicate it. But, it is easily spread and there's a lot of it down there. Sounds like a battle that i wouldn't ever likely win but I'll fight the good fight anyway!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Glad I asked! Looks like we've got our work cut out. Wonder why no herbicides are approved for forested areas. Damage to other plant and tree life?

Thanks for the info!
Some soil active herbicides can harm or kill hardwoods, but a foliar herbicide like Round up will kill it. It will keep coming back though as new seeds germinate.

If you're near water it's best to use the version of glyphosate (round up) that's labeled for aquatic areas.

Jim Boyd

Does the area routinely flood?

If yes, a good bit of the answer may lie there.

My friend Charlie has 35-40 acres of prime Illinois bottom ground that he simply gave up on and put into CREP.

Makes great deer hunting ground but the tillable is abandoned.

Jim Boyd

I really don't know. First year on this ground so we'll be learning for a while.

Not sure anything will survive a flood, even for a short period of time.

Beans, corn and alfalfa will not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a mixture of Japanese stiltgrass and native Virginia wild rye, hard to tell from the pic.