Cremation?

GeauxLSU

Tell me what the difference is between Him having to gather up a gazillion ashes and having to gather up a gazillion pieces of "compost" (which is what a body naturally becomes in the absense of modern embalming)? I don't see the difference.

Of course there is none. All we have is Scripture. Cremation was common yet never done by Christians. Why is that/ Christ did not raise Lazarus from ashes. He raised his body.
Could He do it, well of course He could, and anything else.
The bible does not say it's wrong to let your vacated body hang from a lightpost or leave it laying the street to rot or have dogs and bugs eat either, but as Christians, we tend to treat the deceased body with a certain amount of care. Burning it, has historically NOT been done or accepted.
Again, it may be perfectly acceptable in Christ's eyes but I would never use worldy concerns (lack of hunting space?) to justify something that scripture gives us absolutely no justification for.
Could I or we be totally wrong? Like every discussion we've ever had in this forum, absolutely.
But I feel very safe in saying it definitely is not wrong to have a traditional burial.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Jewish burial, as Jesus received, involved simply washing the body and burying it. There was no embalming. So, does that mean the traditional "Christian" burial, which typically involves embalming (A pretty invasive procedure) that many perceive as the standard for burial is somehow just as wrong as some say cremation is? Or, perhaps are we actually arguing "tradition - right- ritual" that WE are comfortable with as the standard EVERYONE should adhere to?

GeauxLSU

So, does that mean the traditional "Christian" burial, which typically involves embalming (A pretty invasive procedure) that many perceive as the standard for burial is somehow just as wrong as some say cremation is?
Could very well be.

redwards

Jewish burial, as Jesus received, involved simply washing the body and burying it. There was no embalming. So, does that mean the traditional "Christian" burial, which typically involves embalming (A pretty invasive procedure) that many perceive as the standard for burial is somehow just as wrong as some say cremation is? Or, perhaps, are we actually arguing "tradition - right- ritual" that WE are comfortable with as the standard EVERYONE should adhere to?
Well put, my friend!

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
To each his own. My choice is to have a Christian Burial. This is in keeping with the tradition and practice of the early Church. Not only did the early Church practice earth and tomb burial, but so did the Hebrew people going back to the time of the patriarchs.

Cremation on the other hand has its roots in paganism, going back to the stone age.

Perhaps I have missed something, but by far the most often quoted basis for cremation is that it costs far less than an earth burial. This I would add is a rather secular approach toward one's last rites.

Again I say, to each his own.

jason4445

Cremation

I got into this Christian burial stuff 30 years ago. Mostly the references come from the 7th chapter of Revelations where it is said that in some Bibles Jesus will rise from the east, and in others Angels will rise from the east and 144,000 saved Christians will rise from their graves and the Jesus/Angels will put the seal of God on them to rise to heaven. If you notice with almost all cemetaries the tombstones face the east so when Jesus/Angels come everyone will rise facing them. That is why burying the whole body was considered a Christian burial cause the body would rise to have the seal put on it. Also why embalming became popular along with sealing the coffin in a crypt, so the body will be in as good shape ad possible for the rising.

Of course what makes me wonder about all this is most Christians believe that old uncle Bob or Nan Nan and Pawpoo are already in heaven zipping right up after they passed. According to this in Revelations no one goes to heaven until Jesus comes back. Also at that time only 140,000 will recieve the seal to make it into heaven. Which by my count leaves many of us searing in flames. One big religious group got their members by claiming to the one of the 144,000, but when their members totaled over that number all of the sudden the 144,000 became all symbolic and everything.

SPITCAN

To each his own. My choice is to have a Christian Burial. This is in keeping with the tradition and practice of the early Church. Not only did the early Church practice earth and tomb burial, but so did the Hebrew people going back to the time of the patriarchs.

Cremation on the other hand has its roots in paganism, going back to the stone age.

Perhaps I have missed something, but by far the most often quoted basis for cremation is that it costs far less than an earth burial. This I would add is a rather secular approach toward one's last rites.

Again I say, to each his own.

Whether it makes no difference or not, I feel the same way you do. Thanks for all the input!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
only 140,000 will recieve the seal to make it into heaven. Which by my count leaves many of us searing in flames. One big religious group got their members by claiming to the one of the 144,000, but when their members totaled over that number all of the sudden the 144,000 became all symbolic and everything.

Read Thessalonians, thats the Rapture of the Church. The event you are reading in Revelations is after the Rapture, during the time when the Jews basically turn to Jesus. Alot more than what I just told but the basics.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jayson: You mention the Book of Revelation as being a factor in earth burial.

How do you explain why believers in Jehovah God were practicing earth burial well before the Book of Revelation was written??

KDarsey

I have asked a few pastors and they seem to side-step this one every time. I am a Southern Baptist and that's the way I want to go out. Already got my spots picked to be scattered.
This is a touchy subject in a lot of homes/families,I told mine they could put a headstone up somewhere and scatter a little there if they needed a 'place' to go to.(?)
On a lighter note,this IS supposed to be a celebration if you have your 'affairs' in order,so I told my kids,"good music,short(very) short service and Bar-B-Que for everybody!"

Robk

I'd prefer to be cremated personally, scatter my remains along a nice trout stream or next to well used deer trail.

Rob

270win

Burial.... But I'm not legalistic about it. Good points by HuntinTom

pendy

No cremation for me. I want a Christian burial with lots of yellow roses all around me. My boys and husband know my wishes.

patchestc

not me. I am more comfortable with cremation than rotting away in a box under the ground. saves the family
a lot of money too.

Joe Moran

I used to be against cremation, but the more I found out about embalming, the more I knew I didn't want to be buried.

If they could bury you naturally, I'd probably be more for it.
Ashes to ashes & dust to dust for me.

Tim L

Well....This one is a sore subject around my house...from a christian perspective, I personally do not think it matters one way or another...But personally I want to be cremated (or when the time comes just crawl off somehere to die like an old dog)...Can't stand the thougtht of being closed up and locked up in a casket...like I will smother or something...would like to just rot or let my ashes go on in the chain of life....But my wife is totally against cremation and I know where she is coming from...she can't stand the thoughts of us not being buried side by side and we already have our plots at (I think its called Mt. Vernon) that cemetary in Sandy Springs off 285)........Again, not looking at this from a christian perspective; how your buried won't mean a hill of beans when christ comes back....So, if I go first I know whats coming and have stopped talking about it.....But, if I don't go first no ones putting ME in a casket and burying me!

60Grit

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, burn my tired old carcass when the time comes and put me on the garden. Probably the only way I will grow any good tomatoes.

:fine:

patchestc

I work part time at a funeral home. If you're thinking u
want a traditional funeral, don't ever watch an embalming.
I could go into details, but i don't think it would be appropriate.

patchestc

it's a matter of traditon, convenience, and cosmetics.
embalming slows the process of decomposition so you
can have a viewing etc. without the odor, discoloration,
and swelling. i am not a licensed funeral director, but i
have been told that there is no legal requirement for
embalming.