crockpot beef roast

gadeerwoman

Awhile back I ran across the recipe for Mississippi pot roast and have been tinkering with it a little. Finally settled on it and have been making this stuff at least every other week. Gotta say it is some of the best roast I have every tried anywhere!
1/2 small package dry ranch dressing mix
1 package au jus mix (in the seasoning aisle)
1/2 to 3/4 stick of butter
chuck roast
unsalted beef broth or cola
large bag of little baby carrots
2-4 canned pepperoncini peppers (from a jar)

Just put the chuck roast in a crock pot, pour the ranch dressing and au jus mix on top. Add the stick of butter and the pepperoncini peppers. You don't have to add any water or broth/cola but I like 'gravy' so I add at least 1 cup of unsalted beef broth. Turn crock pot on low for 8 hrs. Once it's done I add a couple tablespoons of corn starch to thicken the juice to more of a gravy. Shred the meat when it's done and eat it over rice, over mash potatoes, over noodles...drain the beef and eat it in a sandwich. The first time I made it I used the entire packet of ranch dressing mix and regular beef broth but it ended up a little too salty for my taste so I use only 1/2 pk of ranch mix and go with unsalted broth. Way too easy to cook anything this good!!
Sounds weird with ranch dressing mix but you don't know it's there when it's done. Great recipe for hunting season (when I'll be trying it with a venison roast instead of beef)!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Been doing the same basic recipe myself. I use beefy onion soup mix instead of au jus. No carrots or cola but will try that next time.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It's amazing how many recipes call for dry ranch dressing and how good they all turn out.