crow imitating owl

sasquatch hunter

anyone ever heard this?

I stepped out the front door this morning and heard a very weird sound coming from a pine tree in front of the house.

My first thought was black panther, then I see a crow hopping around, and then another.

As long as both crows were in the same stand of trees, the one crow would make some weird noises, one time actually hooting just like an owl.

When the other crow left it went back to making regular crow sounds.

Then the other crow flies back up and he starts making the weird sounds again.

Redbow

Hmmm, that does sound strange!! Do Crows have mating calls?

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Crows make a variety of sounds, but none of them faintly resemble the call of an owl. Perhaps it was a black panther.

knifemaker

Actually, I've seen the same thing, but on further observation, I noticed the crow that sounded like an owl was really an owl in a crow costume. I think he was just trying to irritate the real crow. I don't think they like each other much. reminded me of a couple of unnamed guys on our political forum.:bounce:

bigox911

I heard something like that one time, but was told it was probably a screech owl.

GAX

Had a friend in High School whos neighbor had a crow as a pet. The dern thing could say "Hello" just like a parrot. The guy would also let him outside when he left for work and when he got home, the crow would be waiting on him.

7MAGMIKE

Had a friend in High School whos neighbor had a crow as a pet. The dern thing could say "Hello" just like a parrot. The guy would also let him outside when he left for work and when he got home, the crow would be waiting on him.

I have a friend who keeps various birds told me crows are quite smart and can be taught to talk. If that is the case I would imagine they could imitate an owl.

one_shot_no_mor

Don't Doubt It!

I had a crow as a pet when I was a boy. Climbed a 100' pine and got him out of the nest along with another one for a buddy of mine. That bird could imitate ANY sound he ever heard!! He barked like a dog, meowed like a cat, imitated every bird imaginable, and even made "motorcycle" noise! I never spent enough time with him to teach him to talk but I'm convinced that he could have...splitting the tongue is a myth. I would think a simple "HOOT" would be simple to imitate.:bounce::bounce:

sasquatch hunter

visual

I know for a fact that it was the crow, I could see him plainly and see his body moving as he made the sounds

It was like he was trying to trick the more dominant crow that was trying to run him off.

He was a crow when the other bird was gone, but everytime the other bird flew back to run him off he became another bird/black panther/owl.

I just figured out why he sounded like a black panther at first, he has heard one in the wild and was imitating it trying to scare me, he had probably been watching me read black panther threads through the window the night before.

Man these crows are smart, i'm scared:hair:

Last edited:

TreeFrog

I've seen a few crows mimic but never an owl. Certainly no doubt that they could though. While stationed in Alaska we saw a lot of ravens. They would often immitate sounds (more than crows). I've heard them do car alarms, dog barks, really bad impersonations of wolf howls, and talk. They ones that hung out around parking lots would often hear a word or phrase and repeat it over and over. My wife and I were going into a store one day and one attracted quite a crowd. It was on top of a light post screaming, "Hey, Charlie! Hey, Charlie!" over and over.

sleeze

Crows are very smart. The crow is capable of resurrecting people who have been unjustly murdered, so that that person may be able to seek vengeance on the person or people responsible for their death.

Attachments

• the-crow.jpg
    the-crow.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,926