Curious How Many Hunters Over 60, 70, and 80 Still At it

HIGH COUNTRY

I will be 68 in March,

I still climb stick ladders, carrry 50lb bags of corn a hundred yards to feeders, and bowhunt exclusively.

I usually let others do the occasional dragging of any deer harvested though (thats what grandsons and his friends are for).

But while I do not start hunting heavy until Thanksgiving, and I basically on bowhunt deer now - I am pretty wore out by season end. After three or four 5:00 ams in a row, I am ready for bed by 8:00 pm and that is stretching it. It seems to be that about every five years, I notice some changes ie slowing down.

Def feel something in knees (arthritus or wearing out), rotator cuff issues, etc.

But it is an addiction, I wonder how many of our GON friends are over sixty, over seventy, and over eighty and still out there enjoying hunting and all nature has to offer?

Its still a passion with me, and I still look forward and get just as excited as when I was younger. I esp like post season scouting and planning fo rnext year!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
64 and hunting hard. Definitely noticing the slowdown, mostly when it's time to get out of bed 3rd or 4th morning in a row.
I feel most vulnerable when I am alone, but still get myself pretty deep in the mtn. wilderness every year also. If I never make it off the mountain, I won't miss a thing.

frankwright

76 and still going strong(Kind Of)!
I mostly handgun and longbow hunt but I will use a rifle.
I have almost quit climbers, mainly because of a bad back, and do not feel safe in a hang on. Ladder stands, ground /tree seats and sometimes a blind suit me well.
I hunt deer on a friends property and most of the time someone is near but many times not.
I hunt pigs alone most of the time.
I ride my atv closer than I use to due to some lung problems that came on two years ago and I get winded easier but I still pack in corn and stands.
I have no intention of slowing down, I enjoy it too much!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Coming up on 68. Several health issues limit me from walking long distances or using a climber but I’m still at it. Use ladder stands, tripods, and such. Use an electric golf cart to get around.
I hunt hard from opening day of muzzleloader until Thanksgiving
I like year round stuff as much as the hunting.

bilgerat

Senior
64 and still going at it as hard as I can, I Hunted in Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Canada since I turned 60, plan on going back to the northern Canadian bush next fall, I dont do climbers or lock-ons anymore, I only Hunt ladders, ground blinds and a box tower stand I built on My property

Grunt-n-bleat

My dad will be 81 this year.
It was his first year joining the club i am in.
We made some good memories this hunting season, and he showed me what it means to pursue game with a passion.
He took 4 does, one buck and a medium size sow pig this year.
Old poot aint got any quit in him.

Hoss

Just turned 70 and still at it. Didn’t get out as much last year as I wanted to, the move at the end of the summer messed me up, too many projects had to be completed. Got my hunting buddy, Mrs Hoss. We get the camper set up and stay there for several days. She’s my main helper in the off season too, keeps an eye on me so I don’t hurt myself. I do get help from my son-in-law for some of the big projects like moving stands.

Have slowed down from years past, but still walk to the stand and have been dragging em out by myself.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'll be 81 in March and still trying to go on strong. I plant plots, ride tractors, climb ladder stands, move hog traps and manage a property year round.

Attachments

• Kubotajune.JPG
    Kubotajune.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 37

specialk

I got a retired 79yo Nam vet that up until 2 yrs ago could out hunt me in a day in the briar patch....had a small stroke but still goes and rides his 4 wheeler on the paths just to listen to the dogs run....

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m 62. Never thought I would make it this far. I’d a took better care of myself.
I don’t carry corn that far. Not that I can’t. I’ll use a feeder easy to get to. I hunt around it. Down in the woods. I hunt a plot or 2. Most the time I just scatter a little corn there and down a little trail I can see down leading to it. Deer mostly eat the plot. To much feed draws hogs so I let other clubs with auto feeders feed them. I wait til the season is going before I put out a 2 1/2 gallon bucket scattered. See mostly young bucks and a few does. My area I hunt now has a lot of shooters. Can’t blame them. It’s their place. So I go with the flow and shoot a ok buck every year.
I enjoy doing the plots. One plot has a lot of rocks at one end. Soft ball to football. I’ve notice if I scatter a little corn in them the hogs don’t get it all in a night. So the deer nuzzle there Nose in it and get a bite or 3. Then feed n the plot. Hogs graze in the plots too.
On the club hunters will tell me they want to fill the feeders. I tell them no. I have not planted yet. U fill them when I plant they will root the plot up eating the seed. Feed at your stand in the woods if u want. They say look at all the deer pics. I’m thinking just wait. Well then they say man I got 20 hogs. Lols. Yea but they ain’t at the plot. The deer are.
I hunt pretty hard still. I need to hunt more again with a bow. It gets harder each year to shoot a doe. Don’t have the heart Shot 2 this year. Saw a good amount. More than most hunters.
My grandson got a buck and doe. He all ways texts and ask can I shoot a doe. He wants a buck. I had to text no a lot this year. Well finally a buck shows while does are there. He got a 7 PT. 2792031D-4763-4D18-ABA4-561B0DE44816.jpeg
Guess I’m going to today hook up the mower to the tractor and mow some. Maybe.

Bigmonk96

73 and still hunting, ground blinds and ladder stands - enjoy the bush hoggin',stand prep,food plots,and watching the cameras around the feeders and such,about as much as hunting - let the younger guys chase the trophy deer and I get me a few for the freezer.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
70 still at it, a little slower and hunt from the ground.

I honestly find I like the summer months and kayak fishing best these days.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
71 and I ain't backin' down for squat. Walk it in, walk it out. Climbers, ladders, box blinds in the rain or when I just don't feel like climbing. The offseason is for firewood, road maintenance and food plot work. Hunt and fish or die. There are no other alternatives. Sitting around on the couch watching TV waiting around to die is not a viable alternative. Life is to be lived, not endured. Go as fast and hard as you can for as long as you can. It's OK to give out. Never, ever, ever give in!