Curious How Many Hunters Over 60, 70, and 80 Still At it

Deer Farmer

I'll be 64 in June and go at it like I have done it for over 50 years! Hunting and planting foodplots on several properties. Don't do the climbers any more rather hunt ladder and tower stands. Haven't taken a buck in many years. Just enjoy being one on one with the Good Lord and the Great outdoors!

kingfish

62. Still going at it as hard as I can, but a lot more calculated and closer to the road. Still climber in and out, loc-ons are 10-12 feet at the most and starting to transition to hunting OTG. NW Fla WMA's are just so dad gum thick. Shot a limit of ducks this morning with my duck hunting buddy too. Then there's trout, redfish, kings and cobia. In the market for a kayak so I can teach myself how to catch tarpon and kings off the beach on the east side too.

hawkeye123

61 still hunt out of climbers, don't do back to back am hunts unless I'm on vacation, xbow & rifle hunt, still drag em a little to where I can get a truck or Gator to em, process my own for the last 20 yrs, want to be like Son, Nic & Elfiii when I grow up!

jbogg

I will be 60 this year, and it seems I have always done everything backwards, and the hard way. I started hunting Public land in the mountains exclusively about seven years ago. Really wish I had started that about 30 years earlier, as the mountains are getting steeper every year. Physically my body has started to amplify the volume by yelling at my brain telling me to be a little smarter.

It’s been fairly common for me to climb 400 to 800 vertical feet with a tree stand on my back only to climb a tree once I reach my spot. I still intend to climb up to those out of the way spots, but I have decided to start hunting from the ground so that I can shed about 15 pounds from my pack weight. Not sure how much longer I will be able to keep hitting the mountains as much as I have been, but I will keep trying.

HIGH COUNTRY

Great posts,

You are right, some you guys are my heroes!

I want to be like you when I grow up (ha).

Seriously. all the posts are encouraging and we all should be thankful for every season and every day in the woods; esp with family and close friends.

I do find myself enjoying my hunts with my grandson and an occasional friend of his more than being in the woods by myself - but I still enjoy that also.

Meriwether Mike

I am 63 and still getting after it in Georgia and Kentucky for deer hunting. Its Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina for trout chasing in the mountains. Have given up climbers, but will do ladders, box blinds and ground stands of course. My pre season work has to be spread out over more time now. I can still load a buck in the Ranger, but its getting tougher.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I do find myself enjoying my hunts with my grandson and an occasional friend of his more than being in the woods by myself - but I still enjoy that also.

I spent some time in the woods alone this year and it was weird because of all the memories of hunting with close friends and family. I've made peace with that. I can sit in a spot and reminisce about events of the past at that location and conjure up the reality one more time and that's satisfying enough.

Jimmypop

Soon be 81. Getting harder each year now. I was able to get the usual 3 for the freezer. I really enjoy hunting and am making plans for food plots soon. I have a good place for an old man to hunt but I have had to make some modifications to keep me going. I'm still going to get 3 more next season.

TJay

I'm 69 and still going just not as hard as I used to. I still use climbers but I quit lockons because it's too much trouble to hang 'em and take 'em down. I'm not as focused on killing deer as I used to be. When we were young and the kids were home we ate a lot of deer. Now it's just me and my wife and I think she's just about reached her lifetime maximum deer consumption so one deer a year is about all I'm after and I don't mind not killing anything! As long as I can still get out there and see the sun rise from some sort of deer stand I'm pretty satisfied.

bany

I’m one of the babies. 61 and hope to go another 50 years in the woods! I’ve never done lock ons so I won’t be starting that. Back and forth on climbers and the last one got recalled so I took the money and got a tree seat. I’d kinda like to get back to all the mountain hunting I did in the 90’s and 00’s. That would help for chasing elk too.

turkeyhuntinfool

69 and going strong. Hunt multiple states every year for turkey and in the woods around 60 days a year for deer. Still going strong rabbit hunting with dogs as well as quail hunting with German Short Hair. If I can walk I will be hunting! I would love to take my last turkey in my 90s. I guess I am like Mossy Oak says , I am “Obsessed”!!!

SlipperyHill Mo

Will be 69 next week. Hunted Georgia, Texas, Kentucky and Alabama for past several years. No climbers, fewer ladders, shooting houses and OTG a lot. Miss most mornings unless I am in KY or TX. Hard to load deer by myself, don't walk as much. Since I retired, I have hunted more days than ever, probably not as many hours per day. I am a Prime Time hunter.

Don't plan on quitting any time soon!