Curious How Many Hunters Over 60, 70, and 80 Still At it

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Nicodemus encouraged me to carry a walking stick. It helps a bunch, last thing us “seasoned” hunters want to do is fall in the woods. I carry a metal one wading streams fishing. Whatever it takes to extend my time in the outdoors safely.

A walking stick in a mountain trout stream is a great idea. :wink: :rockon:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Great thread. My pops was a dedicated deer hunter for years,. Parkinson’s has ended his hunting, but the memories are still there for him. He’s 72. He ignited a passion in me to hunt, I’m 44 and don't see the fire dying anytime soon.
Him teaching me allowed me to teach my boys. Experiencing the thrill and excitement of your own kids first kill is hard to measure. I got to experience it twice, all because my pops first took me hunting.
Hat tip to you old timers, mentoring a new hunter reaches much further than that one hunt. I hope I’m blessed with grandkids one day so I can experience the hunt through another generation.

releehweoj

64 and hunting smarter - I would like to think. The game has changed so much compared to how things were when I first started in 1974. Back then seeing a deer (or even a deer track) in my area was a big deal. 2 doe days per season and most people shot anything they could legitimately call a buck. Clothing, camo, gadgets, cell phones, rifle accuracy, optics, stands have all improved tremendously. In 1974, the idea of having a hunting buggy to move around on the property seemed unattainable.

Yeah, my back is a mess and my knees are starting to ache but being out in the field with friends beats the crap out of sitting on the couch watching TV.

woods&water

70 here and have watched deer hunting go from seeing a handful of deer in a season when I started to twice that number in one sitting. Still able to cover miles of national forest land a day and pack out whatever I kill. Love to kill hogs and yotes the most. Deer are just too easy
Trying to pass on the "flame" to as many young folks as I can now before my time is up. We're a dying breed. Peoples idea of what hunting is has changed over the years.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
66 this autumn. Body is slap worn out and can’t go nowhere close to what I use to be able to. I still love to hear turkeys gobbling, watching deer easing thru the woods and feeling the tug of a fish at the end of my line.

Handgunner 45-70

Be 66 this March and still at it, 100% disabled , knees gone, shoulder gone also, doc said he can't fix it anymore, then a heart attack 4 years ago, but I still hunt everyday of the season, by myself, ( wife and freinds say I am crazy) but thank God every day I am in woods and if my time comes would want it to be doing what I love, Glad to see everyone else has the same passion for the wood as I do.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Be 66 this March and still at it, 100% disabled , knees gone, shoulder gone also, doc said he can't fix it anymore, then a heart attack 4 years ago, but I still hunt everyday of the season, by myself, ( wife and freinds say I am crazy) but thank God every day I am in woods and if my time comes would want it to be doing what I love, Glad to see everyone else has the same passion for the wood as I do.
Glad you are hanging in there.
I hunt alone a lot too. My wife and I text every hour or two.

woods&water

My wife and kids tell me the same thing. I am alone when I hunt 95% of the time and they don't like it. I tell them if I die in the woods, you'll find me with a smile on my face.

wvdawg

Staff member
Will be 70 this year. My grandson keeps me feeling young and I have been with him on most all of his "first" everything. Use a Mule to drive close to my ground blinds on our larger lease, but still hoof it in a couple hundred yards at my smaller property. My son and some of the younger studs at camp do all the dragging and loading for me (thank goodness). Gonna keep going as long as the good Lord allows!

Big7

The Oracle
Be 60 pretty soon, end of the year.

I will always hunt and fish as long as I can do it safely.

I'd rather shoot than hunt but it's close.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
gave up last year at 83........still could do it , but no desire to kill anything..........well, maybe a spring gobbler..
Good way to do things. Get after that gobbler if it tickles your fancy this Spring. The secret is to do what you enjoy. I don't hunt nearly as often as I used to and do not have the same desire to kill something that I used to have. Special occasions get me out there now: Sat in the stand with my grandson for the first of his two this year. Helped the lady that hunts with us drag out hers this year. Went out with a couple of neighbor youngsters because they like me and want to have me out with them. On my own I would rarely go out.

mike1225

I'll be 68 in June. Still doing about anything I want to. Try to Turkey hunt every day. Mostly hunt deer with a modern muzzle loader. I still love to dove hunt.

BowArrow

I was 85 Jan. 18 and I just finished four months of bowhunting with my BowTech SR6. Had good year with three deer and that is with no baiting, scents, rattle, grunts just my bow and stand. I can still put a stand up 20 ft. with a stick ladder. Hunt and fish by myself although not a good idea. Will try some hogs at Fort Stewart. I fish the Ogeechee River only. Like running water. I start in spring with limb lines and catfish. I also use a walking stick I made from an aluminum mop handle. It comes in handy for spider webs, checking creek levels, flipping sticks from trails, rifle rest, and other uses. I put a PVC half tee (do not know name) on end with screws and Gorilla glue. Change ends and you have a gun rest. I have a 22 mag. that I use on hogs at Fort Stewart. Just finished getting my boat and limb lines ready for warm weather.

Latest posts