Curious How Many Hunters Over 60, 70, and 80 Still At it

HIGH COUNTRY

This is a true story. I have never hunted WMA's very much, but back in the maybe 1980's I went camping with some friends at Chickasawhatchee on a deer hunt. I think it was that saturday night, and we were standing by the check in station when we started hearing sirens coming our way on the highway I think from the Albany direction. Dang if an ambulance didnt pull in right at the check station, and immediately word started flowing through the crowd that somebody was shot! Was not true, a hunter had a heart attack sadly - He had earlier pulled a deer ot of the woods, he did have family with him I think. Just showed how rumors can spread through folks like a wild fire. Crazy thing is we were standing next to the vehicle and he was in the seat which was a little unsettling, I am pretty sure he had already passed away earlier. They couldnt figure out which Coroner to call, since the check station was on the line for like three different counties. Dont mean to put a dampner on a very good thread, but I guess he went like he would want to and I thought I would share a pretty interesting story...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
dang! i never realized how old some of you are!...lol....

Watch it punk. We ain't old. We're "mature" and that took a lot of hard work to get there! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LONGTOM

76 getting ready for turkey season now. I no longer run and gun, more like poke and hope. I still deer hunt many days a season but about every three days I sleep in. I have young friends who drag my deer if I choose to shoot. Most days I just go watch the world come alive. I no longer climb because of Vertigo. I now drive my 4wheeler or mule to a ground blind, the does and small bucks don't mind. I hope I can keep this up until I meet my maker. Mentally I think I'm young , my body thinks otherwise.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
This is a great thread. I’m in my middle 60’s and still going good. Blessed. I don’t hunt climbers anymore, but I have tower box stands and ground blinds that are fun. I’m teaching my grandchildren outdoor skills and enjoying the woods. :flag:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It’s good that us geezers are helping our grandkids along.
2 of my grandsons killed bucks at young ages bigger than Papa has in over 50 years of hunting.

That's the way it's supposed to be Marvin.

My first "hunt" was a duck hunt with my maternal PaPa. That was 62 years ago. I remember it like we just got back from the duck pond 5 minutes ago.

I remember waking up at 4 with him holding my foot. "Time to go chum" was all he said and he turned around and started walking off like if I didn't get up I was going to be left behind and he meant it. I was out of bed like a shot, dressed and downstairs at the front door in 30 seconds flat. Woke everybody up doing it too. I was like a live wire sparking and dancing on the pavement.

I remember the smell of grits, bacon, ham and redeye gravy, the clank of china plates and the roar of the other hunter's voices at the restaurant at 4:30. I remember the feel of the cold moist December air on my face when we got out of the truck, shivering in the duck blind, the first sliver of light at the crack of dawn, the first flight of ducks circling in the distance, the recoil of the Youth Savage 410 on my first shot, the adrenaline rush, the smell of burnt powder, the sound of the Green Wing Teal drake splashing in the water at the foot of our blind, the beautiful plumage of the dead bird, the thrill of first blood drawn, the pride in making a good clean kill shot, the closeness between me and "Ducky".

That's when the hunting bug bit me hard and I got a terminal case. I pray to God nobody comes up with a cure for it.

When I die I know "Ducky" will be waiting for me with the guns and shells and the dog and we'll do it all over again and it will be even better than the first time.

If you can make magic memories like that happen there's nothing else you can do to be a better PaPa and that's the gospel truth.

sprewett

My grandpa is 78 still at it. He only hunts in his big box stand that was built for him. I wish I had a picture but two years ago tracking a deer I took a picture of him as we were on our hands and knees going through palmetto tunnels in the middle of the night tracking a deer. The same night dodging cotton mouths as we waded knee deep through a swamp. I have definitely noticed he is slowing down alot. Used to anyway of the week I said you ready to go fish he would be ready but now there are some days with a not today. I will attach a picture from the late 80s with him, my step dad, and I. That is him in the center.

Attachments

• 13574.jpeg
    13574.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22

MYRX

I will be 69 this coming season. I hunted 4 to 5 days a week, bow season until Dec 10th this past season. Still use a climber sometimes. Only thing I don't do is explore/scout as much and hunt the evenings as I did years ago. Mainly, because I hunt alone 80 percent of the time. Have no issues rolling out of bed early and hunting until around noon.

Still plant food plots, and try to kill hogs to keep them in check.

Bushhog Bob

I will be 85 on Feb. 3 rd . Started deer hunting when I was 16 years old. You got excited if you saw a deer track. Had colon cancer operation about 2 months before this season opened and had to do chemo treatments, but I still made it to my 20 ft. ladder stands 4 times before season was over. Got 1 shot, but missed. For the last 15 years, I have enjoyed planting food plots as much as the hunting. I started taking my wife"s phone with me last year, so my grandson and I could call each other, in case he needed some help. I am looking forword to next season and for spring to work on food plots

I will be 85 on Feb. 3 rd . Started deer hunting when I was 16 years old. You got excited if you saw a deer track. Had colon cancer operation about 2 months before this season opened and had to do chemo treatments, but I still made it to my 20 ft. ladder stands 4 times before season was over. Got 1 shot, but missed. For the last 15 years, I have enjoyed planting food plots as much as the hunting. I started taking my wife"s phone with me last year, so my grandson and I could call each other, in case he needed some help. I am looking forword to next season and for spring to work on food plots
Glad to see you’re still at it Bobby. Hate to hear about your colon cancer and hopefully you will be good to go now

westcobbdog

That's the way it's supposed to be Marvin.

My first "hunt" was a duck hunt with my maternal PaPa. That was 62 years ago. I remember it like we just got back from the duck pond 5 minutes ago.

I remember waking up at 4 with him holding my foot. "Time to go chum" was all he said and he turned around and started walking off like if I didn't get up I was going to be left behind and he meant it. I was out of bed like a shot, dressed and downstairs at the front door in 30 seconds flat. Woke everybody up doing it too. I was like a live wire sparking and dancing on the pavement.

I remember the smell of grits, bacon, ham and redeye gravy, the clank of china plates and the roar of the other hunter's voices at the restaurant at 4:30. I remember the feel of the cold moist December air on my face when we got out of the truck, shivering in the duck blind, the first sliver of light at the crack of dawn, the first flight of ducks circling in the distance, the recoil of the Youth Savage 410 on my first shot, the adrenaline rush, the smell of burnt powder, the sound of the Green Wing Teal drake splashing in the water at the foot of our blind, the beautiful plumage of the dead bird, the thrill of first blood drawn, the pride in making a good clean kill shot, the closeness between me and "Ducky".

That's when the hunting bug bit me hard and I got a terminal case. I pray to God nobody comes up with a cure for it.

When I die I know "Ducky" will be waiting for me with the guns and shells and the dog and we'll do it all over again and it will be even better than the first time.

If you can make magic memories like that happen there's nothing else you can do to be a better PaPa and that's the gospel truth.
True dat last paragraph!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Nicodemus encouraged me to carry a walking stick. It helps a bunch, last thing us “seasoned” hunters want to do is fall in the woods. I carry a metal one wading streams fishing. Whatever it takes to extend my time in the outdoors safely.

Latest posts