Current deer population density by county...

jfarrell30339

So I've exhausted google and I can't find a current deer population density by county listing for Georgia. Oh there's data out there but it's all outdated in my opinion. Is there a 2017 or 2018 data set that anyone has access to?

I've looked at harvest numbers and the most recent QDMA release which does give a general idea of density by region. Just wondering if a county by county listing is out there?

josh chatham

Ive never seen a county population count on deer. They can guess but I think the best representative for population is looking at the harvest records. High harvest would mean higher population. If you find anything like you asking please post it. That would be neat to see

280bst

Pretty sure G.O.N. put out a county by county kills buck & doe might have seen it here. It may be on the app that we report kills on. that should give you a idea of ratio but not actual population

godogs57

Another source of statistics, other than harvest, is automotive accidents caused by deer. Data is compiled by insurance companies. That data, interestingly, was used a while back to predict county by county rutting dates for an article.

redwards

So I've exhausted google and I can't find a current deer population density by county listing for Georgia. Oh there's data out there but it's all outdated in my opinion. Is there a 2017 or 2018 data set that anyone has access to?

I've looked at harvest numbers and the most recent QDMA release which does give a general idea of density by region. Just wondering if a county by county listing is out there?

Here is a response in another thread that at least partially answers your question.
http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=11017757&postcount=36

PappyHoel

a swag...

:deadhorse:

s&r

My swag for Lumpkin County after hunting it for 8 years. It was around 15 per square mile. I would guesstimate that it's around 8 - 10 per square mile in 2018.

Not scientific but observations from a number of our members.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Nothing exists at the county level, we don't have remotely close to enough data to estimate it. We would need the total harvest estimate by county coupled with the sex and age of about 300 to 500 hundred of those deer in each county to model the population.

The best thing to do is use the Game Check data and calculate the number of bucks killed per square mile to compare counties against each other. Don't use does because the regulations differ across the state and bias the comparison. Soon we'll have those calculations included on the Game Check website.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Nothing exists at the county level, we don't have remotely close to enough data to estimate it. We would need the total harvest estimate by county coupled with the sex and age of about 300 to 500 hundred of those deer in each county to model the population.

The best thing to do is use the Game Check data and calculate the number of bucks killed per square mile to compare counties against each other. Don't use does because the regulations differ across the state and bias the comparison. Soon we'll have those calculations included on the Game Check website.

And ^this^ is what I was wanting to see. I knew you would comment on this thread.

Thanks!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Here is my WAG. Total deer killed in a county (wilkinson)(1644) divided by the # of total land square miles(452) in that county ,taking into account that the total legal reported harvest should be 35% of the total deer killed and another 5% for road kill,predation.(3.63 psm) Basically total reported deer kill is 40% of the total deer population.(So i say you have roughly 10-12 deer psm)These would be conservative #'s Some say we kill 45% of the deer population each year.

Today's harvest is really closer to 20 to 25% of the population rather than 35% thanks to buck-only days. Also consider that 20 to 40% of the deer were not reported to Game Check, depending on which region of the state you're talking about. I think the region for Wilkinson was somewhere around 30%. Additionally, factor in another 20% non-hunting mortality which would cover poaching, disease, deer vehicle collisions, and predation of adults.

That's the science part of a SWAG.

Jim Boyd

This is anecdotal but SC says we lose roughly 33% of our deer herd annually - all deaths combined.

From a high population of 1.2m about 10 years ago, we are reportedly down to about 750k now.

Can’t tell it at our place, we are overrun with those jokers - but in all fairness, our area has a good supply of agriculture and mast bearing trees. We are also blessed with an abundance of water, which I think helps also.

This is worse than a SWAG but I would think overall, GA probably loses about 1/3 also.

redwards

Specifically looking at wilkinson but I'm also curious statewide.

And as Charlie states, Game Check is the best way to get information. These two charts are extract data from Game Check that I downloaded daily during the season to my laptop into an EXCEL spreadsheet.
Data not just for Wilkinson County, but for the 6 other counties that touch Wilkinson County.
The single best thing you can do for the propety is to begin conducting camera surveys. If you have never done one, detailed instructions are available on the QDMA website. I also have a spreadsheet for plugging in the survey numbers that I would be glad to share with you. Good luck on your family property.

Attachments

• wilkinson.JPG
    wilkinson.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 791

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
So my SWAG is close enough for a old guy.:rofl: Hows your grapes doing?

I think they are probably doing well, but we moved a couple of years ago and had to leave them behind. I don't really have enough sunlight to grow much where we're at now.

just for giggles

What percentage of the overall deer population in any area should be harvested to promote ZERO growth in population numbers?

I have a number, and I believe it to be closer to 50% than 30%...

jus ask'n

s&r

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What percentage of the overall deer population in any area should be harvested to promote ZERO growth in population numbers?

I have a number, and I believe it to be closer to 50% than 30%...

jus ask'n

s&r

Based on the fawn recruitment data I last saw a 50% annual reduction would likely lower the population.
Charlie ????

jfarrell30339

Thanks!!!!

This is great information. I'm assuming since you say you did it every day that the 2018 numbers are for the full season.

This is great.

And as Charlie states, Game Check is the best way to get information. These two charts are extract data from Game Check that I downloaded daily during the season to my laptop into an EXCEL spreadsheet.
Data not just for Wilkinson County, but for the 6 other counties that touch Wilkinson County.
The single best thing you can do for the propety is to begin conducting camera surveys. If you have never done one, detailed instructions are available on the QDMA website. I also have a spreadsheet for plugging in the survey numbers that I would be glad to share with you. Good luck on your family property.