Cutting the cord...sort of

K80Shooter

Comcast still wants to bill me 100.00 a month for just internet. I'm fix'n to go with AT&T
I pay them 30.00 a month for internet. I have the basic plan which lets me stream anything that I want without any problems. I call at the end of my contract to renew it for another year at the same price. If you do not call them you are put on a month to month plan that is very expensive. This is what they count on, it's a hassle and a rip-off to the customers but it is what it is.

ucfireman

My AT&T internet is $95.60 :mad:

I retired from SA/Cisco IT
What speed is that?
Im looking at it right now, 500mbs is 70/65 with paperless and 1gig is 85/ 80 with discount.
Planning on the 500mbs and seeing how I like it.
You happy with the service?
Comcast dropped Bally so time to switch.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
What speed is that?
Im looking at it right now, 500mbs is 70/65 with paperless and 1gig is 85/ 80 with discount.
Planning on the 500mbs and seeing how I like it.
You happy with the service?
Comcast dropped Bally so time to switch.
Not AT&T, but I got on fiber internet from a new provider in my area back in February. I have their cheapest plan ($55/month total), which is 500 up / 500 down, and I am more than happy. I actually get nearly 600 down. Unless you have a household full of people heavily streaming at the same time, that 500 plan should be more than enough for most folks. So definitely try the 500 plan first. Fiber is on a different level. Well worth it if available.

Silver Britches

A few months in on our Comcast dump. Went with a local fiber for internet and Netflix, Fire stick is fine for us.
We don’t watch sports, which is where they get a lot of people today.
Is your provider Live Oak Fiber? That’s who I now have. They’re new to this area. I think they’re in your area as well.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have no clue as to what y’all are talking about. I have no idea what my wife pays for her programs but do know her watching them keeps her from worrying about how much I hunt or fish.

Lukikus2

Totally cut off Dish when they cut out our local channels when I could watch them in the bedroom on antenna. Have both on antenna now, a fire stick on the living room TV bootlegging off my neighbor. With permission. Lol.

dusty200001

Same scneraio i had direct tv for years and i left them for streaming. I tired multiple ones including Hulu, YouTube, and currently Fubo. I really liked YouTube tv but I just cancelled and moved to Fubo. Fubo comes with the Bally package to see the braves games. YouTube tv and mlb Ard having a beef so no braves games. Fubo is a little more but what I need right now. Never a satellite plan again.

Plus don’t forget you can watch anywhere from phone or tablet.

ucfireman

Was thinking of reducing to 500
So my comcast is supposed to be 1 gig, 110 a month on a triple play thing.
Speed test showed 27+- mbs down and 23+-mbs up
ATT fiber supposed to be 65/mo and 500mbs.
Speed test was 35+- down and 33+- up.
Devices seem to wok about the same.
Tech says I need an extender to use upstairs in the bedroom but I don't use anything up there.
Happy so far, just figuring out this streaming stuff, realized last night Fubo doesn't have Discover or TBS, thought I checked good but guess I missed it.
But I got the Braves!!!!

Try it and save the money, if you need the speed you can always go back up.

Silver Britches

So my comcast is supposed to be 1 gig, 110 a month on a triple play thing.
Speed test showed 27+- mbs down and 23+-mbs up
ATT fiber supposed to be 65/mo and 500mbs.
Speed test was 35+- down and 33+- up.
Devices seem to wok about the same.
Tech says I need an extender to use upstairs in the bedroom but I don't use anything up there.
Happy so far, just figuring out this streaming stuff, realized last night Fubo doesn't have Discover or TBS, thought I checked good but guess I missed it.
But I got the Braves!!!!

Try it and save the money, if you need the speed you can always go back up.
You clearly have something wrong going on. You should be getting way better results than that. If you can't figure it out, you should have a tech look into it. Heck, after setting you up, he should've ran some tests and had you do the same on your devices.

Questions for you. Or just let me know how you have everything set up.

Are you using an ethernet cable on any of your devices to connect to the internet? And if so, are you still getting those speed test results?

Are you using your own wireless router for your Wi-Fi? If so, and it's a much older one (like a wireless a/b/g/n), that's going to be your problem. While they'll still technically work, they won't be able to take advantage of your fiber internet. And they won't be able to handle many devices at once. But the tech dude should've pointed that out to you, if this is the case.

If the fiber modem they installed in your house has built-in Wi-Fi, like mine does, try using that instead. That is, if you're not doing so already.

Another thing to consider; older streaming devices could also cause you problems, especially the further away you are form the router. And the more walls you have between the streaming device and the router could also hinder performance.

Just a few things for you to look into. As it is right now, you certainly need to get things straightened out. I don't know what the real issue is, but I do know that you can do a heck of a lot better than what you're dealing with now.

Best of luck.

ucfireman

You clearly have something wrong going on. You should be getting way better results than that. If you can't figure it out, you should have a tech look into it. Heck, after setting you up, he should've ran some tests and had you do the same on your devices.

Questions for you. Or just let me know how you have everything set up.

Are you using an ethernet cable on any of your devices to connect to the internet? And if so, are you still getting those speed test results?

Are you using your own wireless router for your Wi-Fi? If so, and it's a much older one (like a wireless a/b/g/n), that's going to be your problem. While they'll still technically work, they won't be able to take advantage of your fiber internet. And they won't be able to handle many devices at once. But the tech dude should've pointed that out to you, if this is the case.

If the fiber modem they installed in your house has built-in Wi-Fi, like mine does, try using that instead. That is, if you're not doing so already.

Another thing to consider; older streaming devices could also cause you problems, especially the further away you are form the router. And the more walls you have between the streaming device and the router could also hinder performance.

Just a few things for you to look into. As it is right now, you certainly need to get things straightened out. I don't know what the real issue is, but I do know that you can do a heck of a lot better than what you're dealing with now.

Best of luck.
All devices are set up on wifi, no ethernet cords on anything.
The routers are all the companies, the comcast one and now the ATT one. The ATT is the fiber one. Installed on Friday.
When I run the speed tests I am about 8-10 away and a direct shot to my laptop, no walls. My laptop is probably 10 years old and I think it has a 2.4 connection not the 5 connection.
The tech did do a "test" of some sort and said everything was working well. He did say that in the bedrooms service was "crap" but that is about 30ft and down a hallway and a few walls. Recomened an extender. But Im not using anything in the bedrooms just the living room.
I dont know what to expect on wifi with 500 speed, posts on Google say :
In simple terms, 500Mbps (megabits per second) means that you can download 62.5MB (megabytes) of data every second. To put this into perspective, downloading a standard HD movie (around 5GB) would take a minute and 20 seconds. In short, this speed is more than adequate for most households and even small businesses.

I just ran this at 1650 May 12

Attachments

• 20240512_165001.jpg
    20240512_165001.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 4

Hoss

ATT has an app called “Smart Home Manager” which includes a speed test as well as other tools to help manage a home network. The speed test shows the speed to the gateway as well as to your device. The app comes in handy for figuring out what is going on with your network.
We are showing 999Mbps down and 921 up at the gateway. At the device (ipad) I get 636 down and 432 up. Multiple devices share the gateway, so it slows down speeds to the devices, but this is plenty good enough for everything we do.

Silver Britches

All devices are set up on wifi, no ethernet cords on anything.
The routers are all the companies, the comcast one and now the ATT one. The ATT is the fiber one. Installed on Friday.
When I run the speed tests I am about 8-10 away and a direct shot to my laptop, no walls. My laptop is probably 10 years old and I think it has a 2.4 connection not the 5 connection.
The tech did do a "test" of some sort and said everything was working well. He did say that in the bedrooms service was "crap" but that is about 30ft and down a hallway and a few walls. Recomened an extender. But Im not using anything in the bedrooms just the living room.
I dont know what to expect on wifi with 500 speed, posts on Google say :
In simple terms, 500Mbps (megabits per second) means that you can download 62.5MB (megabytes) of data every second. To put this into perspective, downloading a standard HD movie (around 5GB) would take a minute and 20 seconds. In short, this speed is more than adequate for most households and even small businesses.

I just ran this at 1650 May 12
If you’re not having any issues streaming, then that’s all that matters. The old laptop showing such low speed test results doesn’t mean you’re not getting better results with your streaming devices. Maybe try a speed test on your phone or tablet just to see if you have better results.