Daytime calling Raccoons

HardlyHangin

Is anyone doing this? Im interested in trying to shoot some to help turkeys on my lease. I saw some guys on YouTube doing it and it seems effective, and doesnt look like the barriers to entry are as high as trapping or getting a dog.

$0.02 welcome

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
In an area with a high concentration of coons calling definitely works. As with any critter you call or trap location is key. Can’t kill them if their not in the area.

menhadenman

We use the dog proof traps, they work great. I often use a marshmallow with a little fishing scent dripped on it. I have a few to kill after late archery wraps up in western NC.

transfixer

I've seen those same videos, I have the bluetooth speaker to do it with, and a call app on my phone, I plan on doing it around my house in the near future, as I have a lot of trash pandas around the area

Hillbilly stalker

Never let people tell you what can’t be done….try things and you will often have positive results. The nay sayers often have never tried. Coons are both curious and predatory by nature, plus their rutting season is right around the corner. I have coon hunted with several old timers that could squall a coon out of the top of a tree with just their mouth, with 4 or 5 slobbering hounds waiting to fight when he gets low enough to grab him. I’ve called a few in while bowhunting, but I saw them before I called. The plus side of calling is you are likely to call in a coyote, fox or bobcat, all of those should make fine targets. Calling is fun and pretty cheap, but trapping or a good cur dog is more productive. Wintertime is rough on varmints, sounding like an easy meal should be easy. MFK or Tim Wells make great videos to learn from.

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

I’ve never considered doing it in the daytime or without dogs but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see it work. I coon hunted for the better part of 3 decades. I used a coon squealer some to make a coon look if I was haveing a hard time finding it. The old timers I had hunted with pretty much used squallers the same as me. Towards the end of my coon hunting career I got to be good friends with a family here that is as serious of coon hunters as you’ll find. They hunted 6 nights a week and had the top producing English female in the country at the time. When we first met the son that was about my age started talking about walking coons out of the tree. I thought he was full of it until we made a tree one night and couldn’t find the coon. My buddy started squalling like I had never heard. That coon came out of a hole, walked back and forth on a limb a few times, then climbed down the trunk till it got about 8ft off the ground and jumped out of the tree right in the middle of the dogs. I accused him of practicing witchcraft. Dangdest thing I’ve ever seen.

HardlyHangin

I’ve never considered doing it in the daytime or without dogs but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see it work. I coon hunted for the better part of 3 decades. I used a coon squealer some to make a coon look if I was haveing a hard time finding it. The old timers I had hunted with pretty much used squallers the same as me. Towards the end of my coon hunting career I got to be good friends with a family here that is as serious of coon hunters as you’ll find. They hunted 6 nights a week and had the top producing English female in the country at the time. When we first met the son that was about my age started talking about walking coons out of the tree. I thought he was full of it until we made a tree one night and couldn’t find the coon. My buddy started squalling like I had never heard. That coon came out of a hole, walked back and forth on a limb a few times, then climbed down the trunk till it got about 8ft off the ground and jumped out of the tree right in the middle of the dogs. I accused him of practicing witchcraft. Dangdest thing I’ve ever seen.
That is cool, I couldn't imagine watching that.

Itll be something to try anyway. I'll report back

cj580guitar

Is anyone doing this? Im interested in trying to shoot some to help turkeys on my lease. I saw some guys on YouTube doing it and it seems effective, and doesnt look like the barriers to entry are as high as trapping or getting a dog.

$0.02 welcome
My brother has been doing it a little bit. He’s had some sucess but I don’t he has if figured out 100% yet. But he will. CJ

specialk

I had an old timothy ball squaller back in the 80s i used to get coons to back down the tree when i was fooling with young hounds...worked about half the time or so....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I seen my daddy squall a couple out into the dogs over the years.