Deer and hog don't mix.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
With two cell cameras plus other trail cameras, it's easy to see, deer don't like the darn hogs. Photos will show either deer or hogs on a food plot. But I haven't gotten a photo of both on a plot at the same time. Cameras have shown hogs sometimes hang in the same area for weeks. And while they are there, we don't get many deer photo's. I use cameras to monitor the fawn drop, and buck antler growth. But what I'm getting most is raccoons, hogs, and somebodies free ranging German shepard. As local farm irrigate, our woods are drying up fast. Takes about two weeks of farm irrigation to dry our ponds up, less for shallow swamps to dry up. When it dries, the hogs will leave in search of wet areas. I remember years ago, there were plenty hunters who would go after hogs. Now, it seems most don't want to fool with them. I believe the hog problem does hurt deer hunting, not only running deer off, but food competition. Bucks in my area have antler growth up to about 3 inches now. I have two cell cameras watching, and make a couple trips per week to the woods to check on things. I'm not one who can forget about the woods until next season like some. It's called management. Our lease went up two more dollars per acre this time, not good with this economy folks. Guess they are trying to see just how much folks will pay to hunt. It was 95 today while I was repairing a hog trap, checking on plots and tending the camp garden.

Attachments

• trap repairing.jpg
    trap repairing.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 205

DAVE

I have never hunted near feeders but I have hunted food plots plenty and when pigs are present deer will avoid the area. Many times I have seen deer approach food plot and as soon as they discover pigs they leave. I also have witnessed groups of 10-20 pigs come into an acorn flat covered in acorns clean it up like a vacuum cleaner and with in a few minutes leave with nothing left but scattered leaves.

Last edited:

Ruger15

Our farms southern boundary in Hancock is the Ogeechee river we do have hogs but it’s sporadic . They move up and down the river and they’ll come through on the cameras once a month but don’t stay long maybe a day or so . During the summer we run trough style feeders that they can’t get into and the soil is pretty rocky with a bunch of quartz in it and would say it’s pretty tough to root through. When the season comes in we transition to timed spinning feeders to manipulate when the feed is there and keep the deer moving during the daylight. We see a few during the season but usually it’s a big boar out roaming. The big numbers stay close to the river . Will say we do keep a few soured corn spots along the river bank to hold them tight to it. So far it has kept them out of our fall plots for the most part .

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Deer and hogs may act different around feeders, I wouldn't know. I don't hunt the plots either, but do have a camera or two to see what goes to the plots.

frankwright

There is am old deer hunting club in Talbot Co where I hog hunt and it is covered up in hogs.
They still kill nice deer every year. My trail cams show hogs and deer easily share a feeder just not at the same time. During deer season , the club I mentioned does not allow any bait during deer season and that may help the deer hunting!

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Deer may tolerate them as long as they keep their distance. But I have seen hogs spook deer way too many times through the years. Especially when a pack of them come through carrying on and making all kinds of racket, which is typical hog behavior. Hogs are a noisy bunch, and I hate having them around where I deer hunt. They’re nothing but pests to me.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I’ve had hogs run deer off a corn pile, and does with yearlings just wind where hogs have been recently turn and leave.

sghoghunter

I have shot hogs in front of deer, over the backs of deer, and right in the middle of deer. Not all deer react the same to hogs in natural habitat.

Feed/bait stations .... They act different.

I’m with you there. I’ve seen numerous deer and hogs feeding in the same field many times but they weren’t side by side though. We have a few feeders at our club set up for hogs and each one has a cell camera. I have noticed that aslong as you have a a couple lone boars coming regularly the deer will still come around when their not there but you bring in sows and pigs and the deer won’t be seen again till you get rid of them.

sghoghunter

Had a couple good boars coming in to some feeders but they even disappeared when these old nags and shoats show up

Attachments

• C5A32123-0746-4195-B172-36608995BD4B.jpeg
    C5A32123-0746-4195-B172-36608995BD4B.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 66
  • B94893E4-83F7-4D67-B053-F3974900679E.jpeg
    B94893E4-83F7-4D67-B053-F3974900679E.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 65
  • B4C8B6B7-A84C-405B-97AC-3828D66E5643.jpeg
    B4C8B6B7-A84C-405B-97AC-3828D66E5643.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 67

rosewood

My cameras tell the tale also. Deer do not approach the feeders if hogs are there. I have seen them there right before hogs and right after. They clear out until the hogs are gone. Even have seen pics where a deer was standing way in the background waiting for the hogs to leave.

Deer, Coons and rabbits seem to tolerate each other well however.

Rosewood

rosewood

You know, I haven't considered, maybe the deer don't like hogs because the hogs are noisy and take away one of their defense mechanisms, hearing.

Rosewood

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My favorite block of swampy woods has always produced nice bucks. But one year hogs moved in and that block wasn't worth hunting. Sitting in the stand, and seeing what cameras captured proved the hogs ran the deer out of that block. It took me awhile, but I wiped that sounder of hogs out.

humblehunter22

Joined a lease last year that is in a hog "hot" zone. Multiple sounders roaming the overall general area. On average day & night typically sounds like a war zone from shots ringing out as hunters/locals in the area try to combat the hogs to kill as many as possible as often as possible. I have learned when the hogs are frequenting the areas I either am hunting or keeping tabs on the deer activity typically will taper off & diminish until they wander off to somewhere else to terrorize. All manners of methods applied to keep the "pressure" on the population not just your typical stand hunting. But yes my direct experience is the deer in our area do not tolerate the hogs & will go wherever is necessary to avoid them, as well I have found it to be a regular experience to have to walk the woods before sunrise & after sunset with a firearm typically locked, loaded, & at the ready when on the ground. Have been charged going on 3 times so far by pigs twice during deer season & once during turkey season. The 1 event that happened during turkey season ended up with a 40 to 50 lb range sow eating 2 face fulls of # 6 shot 3.5" longbeard xr's.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I don’t know if this is a one size fits all. I think it’s going to be affected by food source, cover and water.

The property in the Shorter Al area is heavily planted with plenty of swamp, creeks and thickets…….deer / hog seem to be ok with one another even in the same field.

The other tract in Loachapoka Al is different. You’ll either have hogs or deer - not both. No large scale planting there……mostly feeders.