Hogs do run deer off.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My cell cameras will show deer coming alert, then running off. Soon after, a sounder of hogs will show up. Kill the hogs out, and more replace them within a week or two. One favorite block I like to hunt has given me some nice bucks. One season, hogs moved in and not one buck was seen in that block. Local farms have installed boom cannons now, and that keeps more hogs in the woods. One farmer says the hogs get used to the booms and eventually come back into the crops. Since the cannons have been installed, cameras are getting more buck photo's. Guess it keeps them out of the corn too. That's how it is in west Miller co, and south Early co.

Big7

The Oracle
Kill em' all.
Feral pigs suck.

And... What is boom cannon?

Blackston

Kill em' all.
Feral pigs suck.

I believe he’s talking about a propane cannon that is used as a noise deterrent for hogs

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve got a friend in Telfair co that farms . He said after about a year the boom cannons they installed were about useless . You can hear them things for miles .

DAVE

I agree Son. Pigs may not run deer out of their range but through many observations I have never seen a deer hang around when pigs come on the scene. Those cannons work well on big flocks of birds.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Past couple of nights, I've walked through deer to shoot pigs standing beyond them. On feeders, sure the hogs push them off. In their natural environment.........they coexist. I see it all the time.

FWIW

this…

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kill em' all.
Feral pigs suck.

Boom cannon works off propane, and goes off every few minutes or however set. Makes a loud boom, farms are using them around here to keep deer and hogs out of crops. At first I thought someone was wasting ammo............lol

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our deer have not gotten used to the hogs yet, never see them mixed. Farmer said, the cannons only work for a while, they the animals get used to the noise. They've tried night hunting them, trapping, dogging them and the hogs are winning. And with the price of fuel as it is, it's hard to get anyone to travel far to hunt the hogs. Hot weather too.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The hogs in our area have become smart, they run like deer and don't let the dogs hem them up. When they do that, the only hope is to shoot them when they cross a road or field. One fellow said the hogs run his catch dogs to death, never baying up. In a full weekend, he ran hogs Friday might until Sunday and only caught one. Back in the 60's, I hunted hogs like that, shot them crossing the roads, dogs would be way behind.

Davexx1

Using completely silent trail and bay dogs will increase productivity. When my dog barks, he already has the hog stopped. With barking trail dogs, the hogs hear them coming and change zip codes fast.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Start trapping the hogs or let someone run them with dogs.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Theyll push the deer around off the food sources and take over in general. It wont be feer the pushes the deer though. Just hunger and annoyance

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I had to give up on running catch dogs, age caught up with me. Those who have been dogging has some silent dogs, but the hogs still run. Checking cameras today show, hogs on plots, no deer. Deer on plots, no hogs. Hogs are tearing up some of the plots now that the farmers have them run back into the woods.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The last two seasons have proved that when an area is over run with hogs, mature deer go elsewhere. This past season has been our worse. Three mature bucks over 3 years old were killed. several 3.5 years old with nice racks were also taken. What we noticed was, a lack of mature deer, bucks and does. the woods remained full of younger deer. Tells me the mature deer have learned through experience and relocate to areas with no or less hogs. Primarily behind urban areas, neighborhoods etc. lands not hunted if there are any. In my neighborhood, deer have become so thick I'm having to run a fence charger wire around my garden along with a fence. A fence charger wire around my house to protect my flowers and other plants. In the meantime, those hunting the large forested acres across the highway, are not seeing these deer. Largest seen in the neighborhood is a huge ten point. I live at lake Seminole in Seminole Co. Photo is of a sounder of feral hogs that ran a small buck off from this feeder. Today. Early Co. Ga.

Attachments

• hogsjan21.jpg
    hogsjan21.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 17

Swamprat

Swamprat
Invest in a Pig Brig, catch the sounder all at once and .22 them behind the ear while in the trap.

I have heard of a few Ag centers in Alabama are either doing a cost share for them or renting them out.

Not Bama but maybe see if Early or Miller in GA might have a similar program.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Example of a Pig Brig taken from another site

Attachments

• FF2122D1-975F-4C23-B2AA-EB415B5AF1D9.jpeg
    FF2122D1-975F-4C23-B2AA-EB415B5AF1D9.jpeg
    905.5 KB · Views: 40

jap

Our deer have not gotten used to the hogs yet, never see them mixed. Farmer said, the cannons only work for a while, they the animals get used to the noise. They've tried night hunting them, trapping, dogging them and the hogs are winning. And with the price of fuel as it is, it's hard to get anyone to travel far to hunt the hogs. Hot weather too.
It’s not hard just need to find the right people. And if you have hogs and a big enough track for dogs we’ll come.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
It’s not hard just need to find the right people. And if you have hogs and a big enough track for dogs we’ll come.