Deer heart ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ll be honest I’ve only tried it once . I battered and fried it and cooked it done .
I’m wanting to give it another try , how do you all that eat it cook it . Thanks

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I’ll be honest I’ve only tried it once . I battered and fried it and cooked it done .
I’m wanting to give it another try , how do you all that eat it cook it . Thanks
I take the membrane off, cut into 1/4 pieces, soak in salt water, melt some butter, add some sliced onion and flash fry to a medium

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually either do this:

heart-fajitas.jpg

heart-fajitas2.jpg

Or this-It's Danielle Pruett's whiskey-butter seared venison heart recipe from the Meateater site:

heart.jpeg

ryork

I’ve had it seared rare, best way to do it IMHO. A fried of mine makes deer heart ceviche. Minced fine and then cured in onion, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice and cilantro. I was skeptical but it is fantastic! Of course it’s all mute point now after getting the good ole alpha gal……

WOODIE13

Here's what I did up from her deer today, even though we are having spaghetti, fresh is key.

Trimmed, sliced, salt water, steak seasoning then into the pan with butter.

She went and got the heart to try, everyone liked it
20231104_210828.jpg

WOODIE13

You can make a stew also

Big7

The Oracle

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I make dog jerky out of the heart and liver. My dog loves it.

JohnnyD

I dedicate every heart I don't destroy with a bullet to Ticker Tacos. Clean heart sliced in to strips and seasoned with salt, pepper, Cumin, and paprika then seared hot and fast with either olive oil or some lard. A squirt of fresh lime juice is good, too. Simple and heart just seems to lend itself well to that purpose.

Big7

The Oracle
We grind it up. Make heart burger.
I forgot about that...

It's good in sausage but I ain't never tried it in burger.

The meat packer I worked at when I was a kid put hearts in their cooked "County Style Sausage" and it was good. (Pig)

Probably just a good way to add weight to sell and not have to throw the hearts away.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
All the above is good!!

Another way is stuff them (after cleaning out the chambers) with jalapeño / bell peppers / onion and smoke them.

Edited: another option my daughter in law used recently, she’s Spanish - make a dry pico de gallo and stuff them with that. She stuff deer heart and squirrel last week and smoked them.

Last edited:

Latest posts