Deer skin bagI

Gentleman4561

This is the first time i have ventured into this section of the forum and i will be back.:cheers:

I am looking at tanning a deer skin and would like to make a small bag out of it to carry stuff in when im hunting. I am thinking about brain tanning. Has anyone ever used this from cabelas.http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=VBIATKBK3H1RTLAQBBJSCNNMCAEFIIWE?id=0006573222427a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=tanning&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_requestid=137983

Also does anyone have any pictures of how they made theirs? Thanks for the help. Luke

Willjo

In the post new quivers I made two deer hide quivers, but they were Oak bark taned. We let the hide dry with something in it so it would hold its shape. A friend Donnie guided me through the process.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Luke, if you`re gonna braintain, you don`t need to buy a kit. Just go to the meat market and buy a fresh pork brain.

negahunter

or if your gonna deer hunt this year... deer brain works just fine! Ga public tv has a video that will walk you right through it... a guy up at unicoi park made it the ole fashion way ( curing deer hides etc making clothes & other things)... well worth the 9 or so bucks i think they charge for it.

choctawlb

you can also use eggs to braintan a hide. About a dozen and a half eggs to a bucket of warm water, not over 120 degrees . Beat the eggs and soak the scraped hide in itthen work till dry.
Ken