Did you shoot anything today #3

Jester896

Senior Clown
isn't 42.0C with IMR4350? Is the goal 2700FPS? Is it starting to suck into the firing pin hole a touch?

Reactions: Dub

Dub

isn't 42.0C with IMR4350? Is the goal 2700FPS? Is it starting to suck into the firing pin hole a touch?
(y)

42gr is the max charge with Hornady data.
Hornaday data is a bit higher than the max from Hodgdon.
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4748.jpeg
ABOVE: bottom row is 37.8gr, upper row is 38.6gr.

BELOW: row is 41.4
IMG_4747.jpeg

I was hoping to identify promising nodes at mid & upper range. Didn't expect to see good result with the lowest, but it showed up.

Unless the upper range tightens up considerably.....I'll pursue 40.2 a bit further and see what it yields. Would be nice to extend the barrel life while at the same time being dialed in.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes, but the Hodgdon data shows you started compressing the load at 41.0 was all I was saying

pacecars

Finally made it to the indoor shooting range today! Shooting in the A/C is a lot more comfortable than outside. I put 200 rounds of 180 gr FMJ 10mm though the Sig P320 X-Ten. It took me a minute to get the Holosun sighted in. The 6 MOA dot works great and I didn’t have any FTF or any issues whatsoever. I will say that getting rounds 14 and 15 in the mag is challenging. The fun shoots very well and I think the dot is going to work out great. I also sighted in my S&W 610 10mm Magnum with a Holosun on it. The Magnun rounds definitely give more bang for the buck so to speak. Any deer or pig within 100 yds is in trouble. I saved the best for last and launched some 435 gr LBT-LFN bullets at 1300 FPS out of my John Linebaugh Bisley Vaquero .500 Linebaugh. That one makes everybody on the line take notice! I had the FA 83 .454 Casull and the S&W 617 .22 LR but ran out of time. I will have to go back and get those sighted in along with a EABCO BF pistol in 6.5 BRM and a .250 Savage and .375 JDJ Contenders. I switched all the scopes around and think I have them on the right guns now.

Dub

No shooting today…..but did partially clean an AR15.

BCG is now spic’n’span, barrel almost is, only a small amount of copper fouling remaining.
Pics of different sections of the barrel.

5917BB1E-521D-4B78-B636-F6867E700E5D.jpeg08AA5381-0FD6-4B4F-9A0C-8CB0A14E22BF.jpeg94689584-15AB-405E-AAA8-F9CC94D66D76.jpeg

Work schedule will have me tied up until midweek next week.
Will try to clean a different rifle after work each day and have gear range-ready for next week.

Buckstop

Made it to the range today was hoping to finish load workup for a buddy's new 25SST Sherman. After necking down and fire forming 100 rnds that went well a few weeks back with Sierra 117 Pro Hunters, finding a load with the intended bullets, 110 Hammer Hunters has been frustrating so far.

Much earlier than expected pressure with a couple faster powders (H4350 and RL23) and poor accuracy with a slower one (H1000). Picked a load about 1.5 grns below first pressure signs with RL23 of 57.0 grns for today. Got 1" to 1.75" groups. Which was a slight improvement over H1000, but not where it should be.

Debating on messing with the seating depth or moving on to another bullet altogether. In several other rifles I load for, Hammers have been pretty non sensitive about seating depth. At .020 now. Will shoot it some more on Sunday.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I took 2nd place looser in the match this morning.
I dropped a possible 80 points in targets I didn't shoot...one match stick and only put one shot on one of the hostage targets...negated one of the shots by nicking the hostage too.
IMG_2214.jpg
IMG_2215.jpg

at least I picked up another medal :huh:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Today was the maiden voyage of the AR. Put 40 rounds through my AR and got that barrel broken in with some cheap Winchester stuff. Handloads are next. Perfect function all throughout; not bad for my first build.

Also too the Enfield sporter to the range with a few max loads... All with Hornady 150-gr Interlock SP's, but 10 were with N140, and another 10 were with IMR4064, split in half by varying seating depth. 4064 was the clear winner... I'd be content to hunt with that load. All at 50 yards... Not bad for an 81-year-old rifle!
20240622_115217.jpg

Dub

Today was the maiden voyage of the AR. Put 40 rounds through my AR and got that barrel broken in with some cheap Winchester stuff. Handloads are next. Perfect function all throughout; not bad for my first build.

Also too the Enfield sporter to the range with a few max loads... All with Hornady 150-gr Interlock SP's, but 10 were with N140, and another 10 were with IMR4064, split in half by varying seating depth. 4064 was the clear winner... I'd be content to hunt with that load. All at 50 yards... Not bad for an 81-year-old rifle!
View attachment 1313599

That looks great.

Hope you get a deer in your sights with that rifle.

Will be gratifying for you.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I took 2nd place looser in the match this morning.
I dropped a possible 80 points in targets I didn't shoot...one match stick and only put one shot on one of the hostage targets...negated one of the shots by nicking the hostage too.
View attachment 1313504
View attachment 1313505

at least I picked up another medal :huh:
I really like that match stick target, where would I score some? Them boys are always fightin' over scores.

Ain't much to argue about with that target!