DIY Elk Hunting in Wyoming???

Robust Redhorse

We have had good success with DIY elk hunting in New Mexico (a few years after we made a successful trip with a guide service and actually learned how to hunt elk, instead of applying eastern whitetail hunting tactics and being surprised that they didn't work for elk)

2 friends and I want to DIY hunt Wyoming this fall and want to hunt somewhere between Jackson Hole and Pinedale. I'm familiar with this area and have taken mule deer, pronghorn and have done quite a bit of trout fishing there.

If you know anything about this area, please PM me!

I need some advice on which units to apply for.

Guitar Guy

Do you have points built up or no? If you’re fine with hunting cows, you might have a decent shot (about 50%) at drawing a type 6 tag for area 94.

plumber_1969

We, me and the wife, have 6 points each right now and won't apply for another year or so. We are in no mans land.

bjorns4

We have had good success with DIY elk hunting in New Mexico (a few years after we made a successful trip with a guide service and actually learned how to hunt elk, instead of applying eastern whitetail hunting tactics and being surprised that they didn't work for elk)

2 friends and I want to DIY hunt Wyoming this fall and want to hunt somewhere between Jackson Hole and Pinedale. I'm familiar with this area and have taken mule deer, pronghorn and have done quite a bit of trout fishing there.

If you know anything about this area, please PM me!

I need some advice on which units to apply for.
Check out hunt talk forums lots of good info on that. Randy new berg stated the forums

3chunter

Everywhere is crazy dollars. Alaska hunting cost have tripled or more since late 90’s/early 2000’s. I probably won’t ever make it out there now.

Allen Waters

I drew a general wyoming tag this year with 4pp. I will guess going forward it will take 5 pp to be 100% for a general tag. Also look into the possibility of wyoming implementing a new 90/10 law....if that every goes through it will take alot more to draw. I think you'd want to do a general tag and hunt region H or G.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Wow doesn't seem that long ago when it just took 2.
Apply for tag and get pp. Next year buy 50 dollar pp and use one from last missed draw and a nr hunter had a tag

It takes 4 points minimum to draw a general tag

I apply yearly, and currently have, MANY points for multiple species in WY, CO, UT, SD, ND, MT, UT, NE, GA, and a few more states. I'm well aware of what it takes. I hunt every year in the west in a unit that takes 5-7 points (or in many cases much more than that) to draw.

If he is getting in on the ground floor what I was getting at is that he should not bother trying for a LE tag. He should get enough points for a general tag and hunt. The Wyoming General tag is like hunting a 5 point unit in Colorado....

ventilator

I apply yearly, and currently have, MANY points for multiple species in WY, CO, UT, SD, ND, MT, UT, NE, GA, and a few more states. I'm well aware of what it takes. I hunt every year in the west in a unit that takes 5-7 points (or in many cases much more than that) to draw.

If he is getting in on the ground floor what I was getting at is that he should not bother trying for a LE tag. He should get enough points for a general tag and hunt. The Wyoming General tag is like hunting a 5 point unit in Colorado....

True, except every single resident in Wyoming can just go to the store and get a tag. In CO, if its a 5pt unit, EVERYONE will have to get 5 points to hunt .