Elk Hunt questions

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I would get a prescription for Diamox from your doctor for altitude sickness. You may not need it, but it's a lifesaver if you do. Cheap insurance. Had one in my group on my first elk hunt that had to use it.

treadwell

If your going to do a lot of horseback riding, have your stirrups adjusted properly. I've heard guides joking about how they "trashed" a rider the first day by to long stirrups. Google it........ to long or too short will leave your knees and bottom in real pain , short order. Typically, when you stand up in the stirrups your should have just enough clearance to slide your hand between the saddle and your butt.

donblfihu

Buy a cowboy hat to keep the branches from tearing your ears off and the snow from going down your neck. And get something so that you can drink lots and lots and lots of water, drink it like it’s 95* degrees here.

Gaswamp

This is what I already know.

Seven days horseback everyday.

I have ridden horses on a non hunting seven day trip, and although I like horseback riding I do not look forward to the aches I know that will come with that much riding. Yes I know fitness is gonna be a huge issue. I would say that in the 90% fitness range of my age group, but I plan to push my fitness hard in preparing for this once in a lifetime opportunity. So this is a huge focus for me. My son is an athlete so he is fine, and he is really riding me to not slow him down… so I got my own pressure along with his…

They said it could be snowing or hot - they cannot predict the weather.

They said be prepared for five mile daily movements… I assume from camp and stalk?

I am a good shooter, and We (son) do Multigun matches which always require awkward shooting positions and speed. So I am not so worried about shooting from a contorted hasty firing position. But I am gonna practice a lot on longer range shooting. That is one question I have - how far are the shots and can I use my M70 Featherweight in 270?

We will be very close to Yellowstone.

Tags are unlikely this year most likely another year waiting.

I am kinda a boot fanatic, so I know what I will need and the importance breaking them in.
you gonna get to go this fall?