DIY Wyoming Antelope 2005

dbodkin

Well God willing and if the wife's health holds up. I've been given (by Bosslady) the go ahead for a trip to Wyoming. I've hunted mulies and pronghorn before with pretty good success . Hunted Casper, Shirley Basin for antelope and the Natl Forest for deer. This trip will be antelope only. My buddy who use to live in Ft Collins CO would set things up with ranchers and we would camp for a week. Lots of good times. But Joe passed on 15 years ago. Its been almost 20 years since my last trip, anybody have more recent experiences with DIY or a reasonable guided hunt for antelope? The tag process looks about the same just cost a lot more....

CAL

Dbodkin,
My hats off to ya.I hope you have a successful hunt.I always wanted to go and hunt Pheasents,fish,or just set on er rock.Good luck with your trip. :fine:

dbodkin

Cal
I've been out there 3 times. We had a group of hunting /co-workers. 4 of us would drive from Pittsburgh to St Louis, MO. pickup a guy then drive to Ft Collins, CO for the 6th and drive two pickups to the hunt area. We would scout for 1-2 days & hunt for 4 and then drive back. Always successful. Biggest problem on pronghorn is being patient enough to wait for that 15+ incher. Never failed I'd pull the trigger and the next day his Daddy would walk by ::huh: I'm thinking about trying to muster up a group from GA. I hate hunting alone....I compiled some figures for a foursome and it's about $1200 each for a 8 day trip including tags. A group of 4 is good. You can swap off driving and all share a motel room or even cheaper to camp... Unforgetable seeing that country with so much game... and prarie dog hunting in the off time is one of my favorite activities :shoot:

Dave

marknga

GONetwork Member
Cowboy Up! Wish I was going back. I went out to Sundance Wy 2 years ago Mulie hunting on Black Hills National Forest Land. What a trip. I went with my Dad and 5 others and we had a blast. The # of animals we saw was unbeliveable, white tails, mulies, Pronhorns, turkeys....just truly amazing for this middle Ga boy. We were out there for 10 days, hunted 8 (had to check out Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood SD) and I got a decent 5X5 Mulie the last day. Hope to go back next year. Would love to hunt Pronghorns, what a gorgeous animal.
Good luck and take plenty of clothes!

Mark

Count me in. Just got back from Big Horn mountains outside Buffalo. Saw so many antelope I lost count. Saw alot of whitetail and mulies but all on private land. (they LOVE alfalfa). I did get my cow elk though. Beautiful country. Snowed, rained, sleeted, foggy and sunshine all in seven days. Cant wait to go again.

Latest posts