Does this look like a coyote/red wolf mix?

I know the deer population in the Chattahoochee NF is horrible. No timber harvest so no edge, mast crops that are not a sure thing from year to year.... Until you get some edge habitat and/or a blight resistant chestnut is ever developed and allowed on public land you are not going to have a lot of deer. One of the issues US Fish and Game had with the red wolves in the Smoky Mnts was low deer numbers in most of the park, though there are some concentrations in areas with decent edge habitat. You head just a couple of counties over from the CNF though to Elbert Co. and ...at least it used to be, 100+ deer a square mile, I do not know what it is now...but a few decades ago they were everywhere. All the woods had a very visible browse line.
I remember seeing a clear browse line in the CNF in the early ‘70’s and the largest canine there then was a red fox.

Coyotes in GA are just a hybridized version of the same western coyote. In GA, they are 90% coyote, 5% wolf, and 5% dog...the wolf dog mating happened some 100 and 50 years ago respectively...

https://theconversation.com/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-but-the-coywolf-is-not-a-thing-50368

There are something less than 50 known red wolves alive...and wolves, dogs, and coyotes are not interbreeding...they have no need to...
How come this hybridization only occurs in the east? How come there are no yellow colorations or curly hair? The report you quoted said that here was “one study” that showed the black coloration came from the dogs of the Native Americans. Native Americans had dogs out west as well yet no black coloration out there. I’m really not trying to be argumentative, but I sincerely question the conclusions from one study. The DNA conclusions given doesn’t mean they have found all the answers. It just doesn’t add up.

Tight Lines

How come this hybridization only occurs in the east? How come there are no yellow colorations or curly hair? The report you quoted said that here was “one study” that showed the black coloration came from the dogs of the Native Americans. Native Americans had dogs out west as well yet no black coloration out there. I’m really not trying to be argumentative, but I sincerely question the conclusions from one study. The DNA conclusions given doesn’t mean they have found all the answers. It just doesn’t add up.

Not sure what you mean doesn't add up...the wolf breeding came from a lack of mates...same with the dog breeding...happened in the east as that is where we settled, killed all the game, and cut down the forests...and we started in the east trying to exterminate the wolf and the coyote...they can trace the timing of the genetic changes...the study cited is actually an academic paper...and goes back to prehistoric times...

Point is simply that the eastern coyote is a variant of the western coyote or vice versa...there are some 19 subspecies across North America if I remember correctly...and each one has variations but are not unique species...and they are distinctly different from the red wolf even though they may share some DNA...

Not sure what you mean doesn't add up...the wolf breeding came from a lack of mates...same with the dog breeding...happened in the east as that is where we settled, killed all the game, and cut down the forests...and we started in the east trying to exterminate the wolf and the coyote...they can trace the timing of the genetic changes...the study cited is actually an academic paper...and goes back to prehistoric times...

Point is simply that the eastern coyote is a variant of the western coyote or vice versa...there are some 19 subspecies across North America if I remember correctly...and each one has variations but are not unique species...and they are distinctly different from the red wolf even though they may share some DNA...
In the article it states that the black coloration came from interbreeding with dogs brought into this country by Native Americans yet it doesn’t occur out west? That’s what doesn’t add up. Then in the very next paragraph it states the timing of interbreeding with dogs can be dated to 50 years ago?‍♂️. So, which is it? It doesn’t add up.

Tight Lines

In the article it states that the black coloration came from interbreeding with dogs brought into this country by Native Americans yet it doesn’t occur out west? That’s what doesn’t add up. Then in the very next paragraph it states the timing of interbreeding with dogs can be dated to 50 years ago?‍♂️. So, which is it? It doesn’t add up.

Both. The gene is there from long ago. More prevalent in the east since it is more recent. It's a both and, not an either or.

Tight Lines

I am just interested in it...I grew up in KS and had never seen a coyote that was as big or black as I did in GA so I've read a lot about them...and the wolf reintroductions in MI and WY as well and what that did for coyotes...we really created a massive shift in the North America canines in just a few hundred years...

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I am pretty sure this is a juvenile red wolf. Note his small size and red coloring. He is very agile as well. Should we call National Geographic ?

I`m sure they have plenty of red fox footage. :)

Anthony61

BANNED
Scientists are continuing to study the origins of the dog by testing and comparing DNA of living species. The findings show the the most ancient of dogs appear to have arisen in Southest Asia and the middle east.

Now they are locating and obtaining dna when possible from fossils and bones of ancient dogs to add to this picture.

The study/tv show I saw estimated an origin of dogs as around 100k to 50k years ago in China-ish regions. Native Americans came across Beringia within the last 10k years from Asia/Siberia. It is highly possible they brought dogs with them but I hear no proof of that yet.

oppthepop

Here's a big "Bartram's Wolf" killed last week down at Pako in south Alabama. That's a 250 pound hog he's laying on. Not your typical 30 pound coyote for sure.

Attachments

• Bartrams.png
    Bartrams.png
    298.7 KB · Views: 51

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Coyotes in GA are just a hybridized version of the same western coyote. In GA, they are 90% coyote, 5% wolf, and 5% dog...the wolf dog mating happened some 100 and 50 years ago respectively...

https://theconversation.com/yes-eastern-coyotes-are-hybrids-but-the-coywolf-is-not-a-thing-50368

There are something less than 50 known red wolves alive...and wolves, dogs, and coyotes are not interbreeding...they have no need to...
One of the main problems, if not the biggest one, with the red woof reintroduction project at the ARNWR in eastern NC is that they are constantly breeding with coyotes. It has the potential to end it.

Tight Lines

One of the main problems, if not the biggest one, with the red woof reintroduction project at the ARNWR in eastern NC is that they are constantly breeding with coyotes. It has the potential to end it.
That may be...I was speaking more broadly...if the population is low, it would make sense...everything I've read for the most part is that the wolf reintroductions reduce the coyote populations and they don't interbreed i.e. Yellowstone...but I'm not up to speed on the red wolf reintroduction...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That may be...I was speaking more broadly...if the population is low, it would make sense...everything I've read for the most part is that the wolf reintroductions reduce the coyote populations and they don't interbreed i.e. Yellowstone...but I'm not up to speed on the red wolf reintroduction...
You should have seen the quick and dramatic change in the size and appearance and pitch of howls of coyotes around here after the red woof reintroduction in the Smokies.