Does your 'want to' want to?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Historically there has been a great deal of debate on here about a lot of separate topics and many of them seem to kinda miss the point IMHO. Take for instance the grace vs. works debate that's being rehashed. If my 'want-to' is working the way a saved persons should, the entire debate becomes a moot argument. Why? Because I do good works because I want to, not because I feel in need to. A functioning 'want to' makes the 'losing your salvation debate moot as well for the same reason. Same with tithing. If my 'want-to' is working the way it should then the debate over whether tithing is biblical, optional, or mandatory and if so then how much is a moot point. I give because I want to and I can never give enough. My 'want to' keeps wanting and wishing to give more. Drinking alcohol is another big topic debated here. Whether it's forbidden or allowed is a moot point. If my 'want to' is functioning in a spiritually heathy manner, I won't want to do anything that would even remotely stand the chance of jeopardizing my witness for Christ, my walk with Christ, to say nothing of leading someone else astray or into a destructive or even potentially destructive action. In fact, every single legal vs. liberty debate is moot and every law obsolete in light of a 'want to' that is solely focused on loving God and loving others. It's honestly that simple. If folks would get their 'want to' working all this chafe would be seen for just what it is.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
mostly in the past, yet sometimes still, my want to takes a turn for the wrong end of the football field. I have found myself wonder how close I could get to a sin without sinning. It was especially bad in my single days and my interaction with women. My want to was wanting to, but I knew it was wrong.

As I have matured and aged, my want to has come more in line with what it should be, but even now, it sometimes veers off the straight and narrow. Cause I want to.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Historically there has been a great deal of debate on here about a lot of separate topics and many of them seem to kinda miss the point IMHO. Take for instance the grace vs. works debate that's being rehashed. If my 'want-to' is working the way a saved persons should, the entire debate becomes a moot argument. Why? Because I do good works because I want to, not because I feel in need to. A functioning 'want to' makes the 'losing your salvation debate moot as well for the same reason. Same with tithing. If my 'want-to' is working the way it should then the debate over whether tithing is biblical, optional, or mandatory and if so then how much is a moot point. I give because I want to and I can never give enough. My 'want to' keeps wanting and wishing to give more. Drinking alcohol is another big topic debated here. Whether it's forbidden or allowed is a moot point. If my 'want to' is functioning in a spiritually heathy manner, I won't want to do anything that would even remotely stand the chance of jeopardizing my witness for Christ, my walk with Christ, to say nothing of leading someone else astray or into a destructive or even potentially destructive action. In fact, every single legal vs. liberty debate is moot and every law obsolete in light of a 'want to' that is solely focused on loving God and loving others. It's honestly that simple. If folks would get their 'want to' working all this chafe would be seen for just what it is.

An insightful and lucid post leading to the question, "is my 'want to' monergistically or synergistically predicated?" Does not the answer necessarily determine true success or failure?

gordon 2

The influences of the world can seep into the best "want to do good"--- don't care who you are.

Peer pressure and societies pressures can swiftly slip in against your "want to do good" without you knowing it-- so much so that you think your doing good while your actually in the actual practice of doing the opposite.

gordon 2

Plus the barometer of what is good is so individual as if no two grains of sand can be the same.

gordon 2

An insightful and lucid post leading to the question, "is my 'want to' monergistically or synergistically predicated?" Does not the answer necessarily determine true success or failure?

How so?

Adam walked with God but was never fully happy. There was always something missing. Are the Holy Spirit regenerated any better than Adam was?

The Golden Rule's execution is it even in the best muster in God's love a fool proof avoidance to sin?

gordon 2

When? Where?
When? Where?

Because I said so. :)

The bible might be a poor guide in discerning this and the regenerated life itself might be a better guide.

The effect of hearing God's footfall in the Garden means to me they identified with it. The results from the senses be they fears and/or pleasures seem to indicate a fall and a possible rise to a happiness that is only had when totally "in" with God.

Walking is a finite term for some thing or being which is infinite maybe. How about I change it for relationship that was more than accidental as in some design whereby love might beget love and life as opposed to everything else.

Not to be found in the bible. So When? Where? Within the event for the appetite for Love that decants from the Spirit might be When and Where. Maybe.

Anyway carry on. I'm most like all wrong on this and your right on it and will shutter my pie hole on it from this point on. Besides the tread starter must be getting very impatient with my having taken the liberty of four posts on this tread.

God bless. Peace. Rock on.

Last edited:

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
Because I said so. :)

The bible might be a poor guide in discerning this and the regenerated life itself might be a better guide.

The effect of hearing God's footfall in the Garden means to me they identified with it. The results from the senses be they fears and/or pleasures seem to indicate a fall and a possible rise to a happiness that is only had when totally "in" with God.

Walking is a finite term for some thing or being which is infinite maybe. How about I change it for relationship that was more than accidental as in some design whereby love might beget love and life as opposed to everything else.

Not to be found in the bible. So When? Where? Within the event for the appetite for Love that decants from the Spirit might be When and Where. Maybe.

Anyway carry on. I'm most like all wrong on this and your right on it and will shutter my pie hole on it from this point on. Besides the tread starter must be getting very impatient with my having taken the liberty of four posts on this tread.

God bless. Peace. Rock on.
If you were to argue that Adam's fear implies that he thought himself righteous prior to his infraction, I would say that the implication is not that strong. but certainly possible. If you change the implication to actual righteousness, I would have to have more. Like, maybe the impetus of the infraction (IOW, from where does righteous Adam receive the impetus to sin?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
The influences of the world can seep into the best "want to do good"--- don't care who you are.

Peer pressure and societies pressures can swiftly slip in against your "want to do good" without you knowing it-- so much so that you think your doing good while your actually in the actual practice of doing the opposite.

I'm not sure I buy that "without you knowing it" part. I see it as a cop-out. I've always known what was right and wrong. I just seldom did the right thing, but invariably I KNEW.