Dog and urine?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
So I’ve got a miniature schnauzer that’s about 13 years old . Pretty good health wise . She’s always been well trained and never had accidents in our house . Just recently she started peeing in the bathroom floor, tile and is licking it up afterwards . I bought some puppy pads to put down in the bathroom thinking she was just getting old and couldn’t hold it and was licking it up to hide it . But she’ll actually eat the puppy pad where she pees on it .
So last night within minutes of me letting her outside I caught her in the bathroom licking pee up that she had just done . Is she missing something in her diet causing this . Haven’t asked vet yet but plan to , thought I’d see what y’all thought . My wife says she’s old and retarded , thanks for any suggestions

Jeff Holt

Currently going through this with a 10yo German Shepherd. She is very overweight which hasn't helped matters. I did start her on some over the counter bladder control supplements that seem to help. The bad part is that we had this very problem with a 3yo German Shepherd several years back that ended with a probable cancer diagnosis and ended up putting him to sleep as his health deteriorated rapidly. Hope you find an solution.

ucfireman

Is she drinking a lot of water?
She may have developed Diabetes.
Her pee may have sugar in it and she may be licking it up because its sweet.
Just a thought. I missed the signs on one of mine and I hate myself for it. He would drink water out of a bucket every time we took him out. He was going to the door and asking to go out about every hour. Never peed in the house but just a lot and a lot of water. He developed Cushings disease, or so the vet said.