Dog Food Recommendations

dslc6487

I have a feist female dog about 10 years old. She has been spayed, and she is a good squirrel dog. She weighs about 18 pounds. Gets very good vet care.
For you fellows that hunt small, very active dogs, what dog food would you recommend? I have used several different brands, but am looking for the best that is recommended for her age and hunting squirrels.

cabinetjedi

Victor Classic Professional 26/18 and Victor Classic Hi-Pro Plus 30/20 seems to agree with my dog just fine.

Hillbilly stalker

If I had your concerns, on my next trip to the Vet, I would ask him if he feels it is time to switch her over. Ask him which formula, protein vs. fat, that she needs at her age. High energy vs maintenance vs senior ? Armed with that info you have several different top brands to choose from. Purine pro, Victor, Pride and several more. I don’t believe in changing dog foods often, it tears up their stomach switching brands around. My little Feist is a picky eater anyway. When it’s not hunting season, some days he just won’t eat, he is in excellent shape…..just picky. I feed Victor, but a lot of your answers are going to be a personal choice.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Best I have found in many yrs of feeding hunting dogs.Screenshot_20220915-205805.png

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
They don't get the runs with Victor!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I (meaning my two dogs) like Victor High Pro-Plus. Before Amazon jacked-up the price, the postman lugged the 40 lb. bag to my door. Now I drive to Tractor Supply for the 4-5 weeks supply for my two Britts. I made the mistake of feeding the same to a 16 lb. Jack Russell who packed on 6 lbs. He is now on Balance Fat Dogs and is dropping weight. Gil

Davexx1

Check out the dog food advisor website and sign up for their newsletter. They have a list of the best rated dog foods and lots of other information about the food you feed your dogs. They also send out notices and warnings for any recall of dog foods that have been found to contain life threatening salmonella, bacteria, and other health issues.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

longrangedog

Decades ago, I kept a pack of beagle rabbit dogs and was given a recommendation on an inexpensive high protein feed made somewhere in South Georgia. I bought a bag and fed it for a few days when I noticed pieces of feathers in the feed. My vet said that feathers are almost 100% protein that is almost 100% non-digestible. The feathers are a cheap additive to elevate the feed protein %. Threw the remaining feed away.

Hillbilly stalker

Decades ago, I kept a pack of beagle rabbit dogs and was given a recommendation on an inexpensive high protein feed made somewhere in South Georgia. I bought a bag and fed it for a few days when I noticed pieces of feathers in the feed. My vet said that feathers are almost 100% protein that is almost 100% non-digestible. The feathers are a cheap additive to elevate the feed protein %. Threw the remaining feed away.
People used to use corn as a filler also. You would find whole kernels of it in their stool undigested.

treemanjohn

Banned
Victor High Energy or Performance. I've sold Victor for a very long time and used it for another decade before that. It's excellent feed

Jester896

Senior Clown
I feed Victor Multi-Pro Classic and have been having a little bit of issues with meal worm larva...knock on wood...this last bag seems better.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Mine is very picky. We finally settled (for now) ? on hills life science canned Food for sensitive stomach and —don’t laugh—Rachel Ray mutballs in the mornings.