Dog Hunting

Treed

What are you guys thoughts on opening Georgia up to bear hunting with dogs ? Think it will ever happen ? I believe our population is healthy enough.

GA DAWG

They can in south ga. Should be able to in north ga. Beings we have the most bears! At least some type of quota type hunt like they did this yr with hogs on WMAs.

Backcountry

i hope not in north ga....just more opportunities for irresponsible dog owners to allow their dogs on my hunting property.

buckeroo

This is totally selfish, but I hope not. I got to see first hand this year how just the pressures of running coons with dogs affects the bears. I was seeing bears every couple of times I went out until the area I'm on started getting hammered by coon hunters that could care less about bears.

That said, the NF belongs to us all and we are all free to legally hunt it so the running of coon dogs is legal and something I will have to expect next year.

I am thankful to have seen bears this year. I absolutely loved it and cant wait til next season.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Ummmmm no........

rivercritter

dogin affects nothin i get a tennesse permit just so i can shoot some 2 my dogs theyve doged for years and every hunt if got on a bear. they do like 2 run alot further. i hope they do and ill be right in the mix we dont hav any deer left any way might as we dog bears. think about it.

bearhunter39

We need a dog season in georgia,but we first need to get rid of all the deer hunter's who think they own the whole state just because they own a few acres,if they don't want dog's on their property let them put up a fence .

Unicoidawg

Staff member
if they don't want dog's on their property let them put up a fence .

That is one of the craziest things I have read on the forums in quite some time........:rofl: It is the dog owner's responsibility to control his animals not the landowners.:rolleyes: Look I have no problem with folks persuing something they enjoy, but dog hunters wonder why some feel so strongly against them. Attitudes like this are why........your hurting your own cause.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
dogin affects nothin i get a tennesse permit just so i can shoot some 2 my dogs theyve doged for years and every hunt if got on a bear. they do like 2 run alot further. i hope they do and ill be right in the mix we dont hav any deer left any way might as we dog bears. think about it.

You have hit on the solution, my friend. Do your bear dogging in TN where the atmosphere seems to be more receptive.

You are fortunate to have the period for "dog training" in N. GA. You will be lucky if you are able to hold onto this privilege.

plottman25

Anyone stupid enough to beleive that bear/coonhunting with hounds effects deer movement needs to read this.
http://www.georgiafederationcha.com/members/raccoonimpact.pdf
I know this thread was started about bear, but i dont really see much difference.
The way i see it the whole state should either be doggin or no doggin for deer, bear, hog etc. Ive never understood why you could deer hunt with dogs in south ga but not north. And why its ok to hunt over feeders in south and not in north. JMO

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Anyone stupid enough to beleive that bear/coonhunting with hounds effects deer movement needs to read this.
http://www.georgiafederationcha.com/members/raccoonimpact.pdf
I know this thread was started about bear, but i dont really see much difference.
The way i see it the whole state should either be doggin or no doggin for deer, bear, hog etc. Ive never understood why you could deer hunt with dogs in south ga but not north. And why its ok to hunt over feeders in south and not in north. JMO

While I do not agree that dogging does not affect deer. I do completely agree with you in that it needs to be one or the other. This wishy washy stuff is crazy....

funderburkjason

While I do not agree that dogging does not affect deer. I do completely agree with you in that it needs to be one or the other. This wishy washy stuff is crazy....

A study has been done to show that running deer with dogs has no real significant effect on deer movement patterns.

buckeroo

I saw my own study this year.....

I was consistently seeing bears in the area of NF I was on. Once dogs started running the mountain I was on for coons it was game over. Bear will change their habits and movements due to this pressure. I saw it myself this year and have no doubts about it.

I say let the guys keep doing it though because it is legal and IMO their right. I have no problem with it, I just need to be a better shot and not miss during muzzle loader like I did this year so I dont have to contend. ;-) Pressure moves and changes animal patterns and behavior..... Period!

Last edited:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
A study has been done to show that running deer with dogs has no real significant effect on deer movement patterns.

I have seen it with my own eyes on family land that it does..........

koyote76

if you want to support dog hunting goto http://www.doghuntingworld.com/forum/
we are all dog hunters coming together to fight for our rights.

theres alot of people on GON that will not support dog hunting, they might say they do, but they will throw us under the bus at any chance. fight for your rights. just because someones a hunter doesnt mean they arent an anti just like hsus.

koyote76

You have hit on the solution, my friend. Do your bear dogging in TN where the atmosphere seems to be more receptive.

You are fortunate to have the period for "dog training" in N. GA. You will be lucky if you are able to hold onto this privilege.

i will always support dog hunting sports, even when our backs are against the wall. but its clear that most of you wont support us. but let this be known ALL DOG HUNTERS WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU AND YOUR RIGHTS TO HUNT! even when you choose not to support your fellow hunters.

huntin_dobbs

There will always be different opinions thrown around and arguments started over what’s better, what’s going to ruin our sport, what’s going to help our sport. Bottom line is WE can save our sport, but all this arguing amongst hunters is going to ruin ALL of US. I know that sounds silly but bear with me. What's funny to me is that everyone that’s posted on this thread is a hunter yet we are all so quick to bash each other’s way of doing things.... Each group brings something different to the table. Yea it’s great to be part of a group of hunters with similar interests and hunting methods (dog hunters, bow hunters, gun hunters, etc…), but we have to step back and see that while we are all fighting against each other, we are just adding fuel to the anti's fire to do away with ALL aspects of our sport of hunting. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fine to have a little rivalry amongst ourselves but when it gets to the point of damaging each others’ way of doing things I say it’s gone too far. I feel like when someone bad mouths a group of hunters for the way they do things they might as well be shooting themselves in the foot! My love of the outdoors has gotten me to try and explore many different ways of hunting and just so happens that my favorite is with dogs. That doesn’t mean I’ll bad mouth a stand hunter for putting up a stand somewhere, just know that I will respect that hunters ways and expect the same from him/her. We need to learn to respect each other’s ways of doing things or not too far down the road we won’t have to worry about a whether a hunters' dogs are going to scare off "your deer":rolleyes: cause none of US will be hunting at all. Take a step back and look at the big picture.:flag:

rivercritter

im not bashin anything i would just like 2 see a small maybe week long dog hunt i dont want much. i think everyone has the right 2 pursue game in the way they enjoy most. ill even say i disagree with some of the dog trainin days. i think its may 1-15 i dont want 2 hav a gobbler that iv fooled with all day just get right and a pack of hounds come through and flush him. all of ar regs need work i think ar deer season is 2 long. i could go on and on. maybe a late season hunt would be more apropriate because it is easyer 2 patern bears early that way stand and stalk hunters can get thers i just want 2 get mine. im not angry everyone is intitled 2 ther on opinion.