dog's first hunt

simpleman30

my yellow lab, Bailey, will be 4 in March and i have never been much of a duck hunter. she's a great dog, loves to retrieve in the yard, but i've never taken her on a hunt. a friend of mine invited me to go this morning on the ogeechee river. we killed 5 woodies and a merganser. the first bird i shot landed in the woods 30 yards away and bailey followed it all the way down. on command, she went straight to it and brought it back. the merganser i shot ran off when it landed. on the way back to the boat, bailey trailed it to a hollow oak stump and brought it in. i also killed a drake with a band on it. the bird band website said it was tagged in north carolina in august of 2005. pretty good day for the 2nd hunt of my life! looks like we're gonna try it again sunday morning. i think i'm hooked. if only duck season didn't conflict with deer season so much! i'll get some pics loaded as soon as i find the camera cable for the computer.

Attachments

• banded woodie.jpg
    banded woodie.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 366
  • christmas eve woodies.jpg
    christmas eve woodies.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 368

gsubo

Good job Daniel,

That band is special. Ive killed tons of ducks over the last 3 years and still aint killed a banded bird yet!

rockwalker

man thats great news right there congrats and I can say the worst thing that happened to me during my deer huntig career was discovering duck hunting it just moved chaising whitetails down another notch.

simpleman30

still trying to find the computer cable to upload pics from my camera to my computer

HuntNTails

I'm jealous all the ducks that I've shot...and still no band. Congrats.

bteate

looks like you found yourself a lucky charm. Enjoy every minute of it, and I hope it lasts a very long time. Good hunting.

simpleman30

here's a pic of her this morning, just before shooting light.

Attachments

• Bailey Duck Huntin.jpg
    Bailey Duck Huntin.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 158