Dumb things we have done.....& funny

CAL

Years ago when they first came out I purchased a Ruger Mini 14 to use as a truck gun.I was farming and most always hauled some type of firearm.I had it sighted in pretty good and decided one day to check it to be sure.Now I have always enjoyed shooting out the truck window.I am able to be very stable using the steering wheel and the window for a rest.Now this gun had always seemed to recoil pretty hard and always ejected the spent hull to who knows where.I fired 2 shots before taking the gun down.It seemed like the hulls were awfully loud hitting the windshield.I guess they were just that "loud".The spent hulls bursted the windshield in two places.:rofl: This was a 1989 Ford 4x4.The truck was brand new too.Sometimes we have to just "live & learn".

Just wondering if I am the only one doing dumb things?But who would have ever thought this would have happened?:cry:

GA1dad

No, I've never done anything so stupid!:rolleyes:

Hmmm, when I was 18 I had a single shot shotgun that I had sawed off to 18 inches. One day while walking along a creek I found a pool of stripers. I stuck the barrel in the water and fired, thinking that the blast would stun the fish and they would float up. After the shot, my barrel looked like a flower. After that it was sawed off to 13 inches.:huh:

Shot the hood of an uncles truck I was leaning on when I was 16. Gun was shooting high and right,,,, I aimed low and left. Uncle Tom had a fit.:D

When I was 17, I shot a doe with the one 00buck shell that I had. She stumbled off and got hung up in a barbed wire fence. Not having anymore shells, I did what made since at the time. I grabbed the barrel and smashed her in the back of the neck with the stock.------Instant pistol grip. :bounce: It was a borrowed shotgun.:cry:

At 23 I was welding a ladder rack that was mounted on a truck. I didn't know that heat would bust automotive glass.:eek:

At 24, went out of my way to run a Ford Ranger through a puddle in the road,,,,,,,,,,,hydroplaned and hit two trees.:eek: Totalled the truck.:banginghe

Shoot, now that I look at it, I am pretty lucky to live to 35.

So no,,,,,I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And yes, I know the striper issue was wrong,,,,,,,now.;)

SGaither

GA1dad,
That is some pretty funny stuff you did. I hope you grew out of that stage in life cause it seems as if it could get very expensive quick. I had a hard laugh at the story about the new pistol grip barrowed shotgun.

fatboy84

GA1dad said:
No, I've never done anything so stupid!:rolleyes:

Hmmm, when I was 18 I had a single shot shotgun that I had sawed off to 18 inches. One day while walking along a creek I found a pool of stripers. I stuck the barrel in the water and fired, thinking that the blast would stun the fish and they would float up. After the shot, my barrel looked like a flower. After that it was sawed off to 13 inches.:huh:

Shot the hood of an uncles truck I was leaning on when I was 16. Gun was shooting high and right,,,, I aimed low and left. Uncle Tom had a fit.:D

When I was 17, I shot a doe with the one 00buck shell that I had. She stumbled off and got hung up in a barbed wire fence. Not having anymore shells, I did what made since at the time. I grabbed the barrel and smashed her in the back of the neck with the stock.------Instant pistol grip. :bounce: It was a borrowed shotgun.:cry:

At 23 I was welding a ladder rack that was mounted on a truck. I didn't know that heat would bust automotive glass.:eek:

At 24, went out of my way to run a Ford Ranger through a puddle in the road,,,,,,,,,,,hydroplaned and hit two trees.:eek: Totalled the truck.:banginghe

Shoot, now that I look at it, I am pretty lucky to live to 35.

So no,,,,,I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

And yes, I know the striper issue was wrong,,,,,,,now.;)

That is some good stuff.

Brent

Last march I bought a new 4wheeler, first week I had it I was out on our lease scouting. Found an old wooden ladder stand about 10' off of the logging road I was on. It looked like a really good place for a stand. So...I park my atv, get off and proceed to climb up the WOODEN ladder stand. Yeah I know, bad idea. Anyway I get all the way to the top and without any warning, the step that I'm on breaks and my legs go through the ladder stand, the stand then proceeds to pivot around the tree, the rope holding the stand to the tree breaks, and I'm now in mid air with both my legs stuck through the ladder stand falling towards my brand new Honda 450 Foreman 4x4. End result; several seriously bruised ribs, ripped shirt, bent handle bars, broken brake lever and a busted watch band.
The stupid part is that I know not to get in an old stand. A good friend of mine was nearly killed in a fall from an old wooden stand. I'll never do that again!

Here`s anothern:A few years ago a friend and myself proceeded to shoot our smokepoles the week before season.We propped the rifles across the top of the bed on my Toyota T100,paying no attention to the fact that two open cases of Pyrodex pellets were laying open on the tailgate.About the third round or so,I fired,and the bed of the truck erupted,as 10,000 grains of Pyro went off.I grabbed some pistols from the cab and started to run.The fire went completely out in a few seconds,(the pellets burned up instantly)but burned the bedliner,binoculors,all our accessories,etc.The Lord was a`watchin`,though.There were two full,tightly-sealed cannisters of loose Pyro also ,with just the labels burned off.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
yellowhammer said:
Here`s anothern:A few years ago a friend and myself proceeded to shoot our smokepoles the week before season.We propped the rifles across the top of the bed on my Toyota T100,paying no attention to the fact that two open cases of Pyrodex pellets were laying open on the tailgate.About the third round or so,I fired,and the bed of the truck erupted,as 10,000 grains of Pyro went off.I grabbed some pistols from the cab and started to run.The fire went completely out in a few seconds,(the pellets burned up instantly)but burned the bedliner,binoculors,all our accessories,etc.The Lord was a`watchin`,though.There were two full,tightly-sealed cannisters of loose Pyro also ,with just the labels burned off.

You fellers got lucky on that one. Glad ya`ll were`nt hurt and damage was minimal. There`s a lesson there!

GA1dad

Yes, I believe I've finally grown out of all that kinda stuff. I've atleast slowed down enough to think things through beforehand. And that's good, cause now I've got more expensive and powerful toys to play with.

You know what the saddest thing is,,,,,,,,,,it's all true.

What was I thinkin'?

Jeff Phillips

Talking about black powder...

When I was about 9 years old my buddy Bob came over to the house to play. He had gotten into his dad's stuff looking for something we could mess around with that day. Bob had a Planters Peanut can full of black powder with him. I ran in the house, got some matches, and we took both to the tree house in our back yard. I placed the open can on a rail and dropped a match into the powder. It looked and sounded like a jet engine taking off:crazy:

Of course my Momma was at the kitchen sink, looking out the window. She wore me out, black face and all:cry: :D