Economy is great! Half ton Ram $74k

specialk

I'm done with new automobiles, last one I purchased was in 2004.

My wife's car is a 2003 Infinity with 213,000 miles on it. The last new one I bought in 2004, was a 4Runner. When it was totaled last year by a hit-and-run driver, it had 221,000 miles.

I used the insurance settlement, plus a little extra, to purchase a 2015 Lexus with 148,000 miles.

My general rules are buy from a private owner, buy quality vehicles, and always pay in full with cash, no financing. Works for me.

Haven't had a car payment in 16 years yet still have been driving nice cars. An 80-90k truck with a $1,000 monthly payment just seems foolish for me. But if you can truly afford it, meaning it doesn't cause you to struggle to buy groceries, pay for medical needs, or skimp on your retirement saving, by all means fire away.
Bingo! see post #14!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
A couple of hundred???? more like a couple of thousand, or a high mileage rate. but the $14/hr for a skilled tech is an insult.
Yep. Guys that have just finished up the schooling are $35 or more. A experienced HVAC will make closer to 50

Geffellz18

every other vehicle I've owned I've bought from individuals, normally one owner vehicles they've kept maintained and taken care of , just wanted something newer, so decided to sell what they had.
I would not even consider a vehicle offered on a dealer lot, until my last two. Still search everywhere else before expanding my search, but did get a great deal on my wife’s CR-V from a dealer several years ago. She unfortunately got in an accident and it was totaled, but we got about $2500 more for it than what we paid for it 2 years and about 25k miles prior!
Used it and cash to purchase her new “to her” vehicle. Toyota Highlander. I paid a little more than I was hoping, but not too far out of range from other ones I was looking for. What sealed it for me was that the vehicle was purchased at the dealer that was selling it, and the vehicle was serviced by the same dealer on every scheduled maintenance timeframe religiously. All records were available to confirm this. It was an older couple that traded it in because the miles ticked over 100k miles and they purchased a new Grand Highlander.
The highlander looks brand new, literally and it the limited platinum trim level so has everything one could even think of wanting, although we don’t use 1/8th of the features, including the pano sunroof!
I do like the A/C seats though!
I want to talk to the previous owners to inform them that I’d be highly interested in the grand highlander when they get tired of it too in 5-10 yrs based on the care they took with the one we now own!