Eel With Legs

27metalman

Hadn't seen one of these in a very long time. I know they are some type of amphibian... a salamander of some type. They wig me out a bit. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 115

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Siren.

Hellbender
Nope, not even close. Hellbenders only live in clean, cold mountain trout streams, and are stocky and wrinkly with a big head. See them fairly often around here.

This is what they look like:

images.jpg

Artfuldodger

Amphiuma are found in the southeastern United States. They have smooth skin, very long bodies, and very tiny legs. In fact, amphiuma look like eels and are sometimes called eels.

Interesting in that they are nocturnal. I've only seen them caught in blackwater at night.

It is a salamander. I thought it was an eel with legs. Freshwater eels are also nocturnal but I think they are classified as a fish.

buckpasser

Siren.

Nope, not even close. Hellbenders only live in clean, cold mountain trout streams, and are stocky and wrinkly with a big head. See them fairly often around here.

This is what they look like:

View attachment 1142075

I was crazy about salamanders as a kid. I would look for them all day while my dad fly fished. I never saw one of the benders until last year with my family hiking around at near Bryson City. It was surprisingly docile and we enjoyed the meeting.

buckpasser

The sirens seem to be in all the ponds around here. You see them when you dig out an old pond. They’re burrowed in the mud and they can be pretty darn big!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was crazy about salamanders as a kid. I would look for them all day while my dad fly fished. I never saw one of the benders until last year with my family hiking around at near Bryson City. It was surprisingly docile and we enjoyed the meeting.
I have had hellbenders more than once come out from under a rock and try to snatch trout off a string tied to my belt while I was wading and fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Amphiuma are found in the southeastern United States. They have smooth skin, very long bodies, and very tiny legs. In fact, amphiuma look like eels and are sometimes called eels.

Interesting in that they are nocturnal. I've only seen them caught in blackwater at night.

It is a salamander. I thought it was an eel with legs. Freshwater eels are also nocturnal but I think they are classified as a fish.
They are similar to sirens, but they are bigger, have much smaller legs, and a round tail instead of a flat one like the siren there. The sirens usually have a gold-speckled color, too.

27metalman

This one only had two legs with four toes on each leg. Gold specs all over the body. I got to thinking... it's been 40 yrs since I last seen one of these. I guess I need to look more often.

660griz

Looks kinda like a mud puppy to me. What did it taste like? :)

oldfella1962

I have had hellbenders more than once come out from under a rock and try to snatch trout off a string tied to my belt while I was wading and fishing.

okay I would officially freak out right about then! :eek:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Amphiuma pholeter

An eel like salamander.

72B1D899-15D7-4976-94CE-0168B227364F.jpeg

hopper

Had a snake do that to me once when I was a teenager. Unlike most of you I hate snakes. I still think about it today whenever I have a stringer tied to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Latest posts