Electric Heat Pump w/Natural Gas Backup - Opinions?

Cmp1

BANNED
Scana provides the gas and Atlanta Gas Light services the equipment. I have not been pleased with either company (couple of stories I could tell on them). My bill was cheaper before the Natural Gas industry 'deregulated' several years ago, and I had gas water heater and dryer back then.
I have also been told that 10 Therms for that old style pilot light is normal.

I know there are better options for my furnace, but I don't want to be tied to Scana/AGL in any way.
You can switch providers,,,,we have it cheap up here,,,,

JBeck

The folks that I know that have installed a heat pump with gas backup say it's the way to go. Energy bills dropped. You'll need to set your heat pump to monitor the ambient temperatures and "changeover" probably around 40 to 45 degrees. At that point you will be on your gas furnace. The higher the efficiencies on each, the more you will save in the end. It all boils down to how much you can afford or are willing to spend.

Oldstick

Just checked my most recent gas bill from the city. $14 gas consumption + $4.20 base charge for 11 units used. That is for a month's worth of hot water. But they way more than make up for it with charges for sewer usage, storm water, garbage, and fire protection fees etc. :(

25-30 for water and 15-20 for gas every month, yet the total bill is always $120+ with all the other fees added in. :ROFLMAO: