Electrical / AC Surge Protection Question

snooker1

This past weekend we took a couple of big power surges. This resulted in my AC "thermal protection" as the AC guy called it, the AC never came back on which led to a service call. The house and AC unit are 3 years old, the unit is a Reheem. I have entire house surge protection from the power provider at the main box. The AC guy recommended surge protection for the outside unit (285 dollars). My question is adding another surge protector at the AC unit going to provide more protection than having entire house protection.

Side note, the surge protection would not have prevented the issue from happening according to the AC guy.

oldfella1962

This past weekend we took a couple of big power surges. This resulted in my AC "thermal protection" as the AC guy called it, the AC never came back on which led to a service call. The house and AC unit are 3 years old, the unit is a Reheem. I have entire house surge protection from the power provider at the main box. The AC guy recommended surge protection for the outside unit (285 dollars). My question is adding another surge protector at the AC unit going to provide more protection than having entire house protection.

Side note, the surge protection would not have prevented the issue from happening according to the AC guy.
Hmmm......if the outdoor surge protection can prevent other issues in the future, then maybe it's worth it.

Latest posts