Ever had your freezer go out?

Josh B

I had a chest freezer on the porch with all my deer meat and fish in it. Started smelling something rotten and found the problem. I took it all out before dumping the freezer and I can’t get the smell off. I hate that the animals went to waste especially since I paid $200 for processing! I’m sure I’m not the only person this has happened to. Wish it had an alarm when it quit cooling.

bullgator

Had one die three weeks ago. Caught it while it was still holding 55-60 degrees and save most of the contents. There’s a new one in the garage now.

Hillbilly stalker

A lot of them have a visible red light indicator that you can easily see. It would be worth installing one on any new one.

Josh B

Yeah it had a power light that was still on. I had gloves on washed my hands with lava soap,dawn and vodka! Multiple times and smell keeps coming back.

sportsman94

We’ve had a few go out over the years. Finally wised up and bought alarms for them. Hate that happened to you!

Blackston

We would clean the crab boat with a paste made of Tide and bleach be kind of harsh but probably get the STANK offf

ScLowCountry

I had two freezers in a garage on it it's power pole. A squirrel got electrocuted blowing the transformer and killing the power to both freezers. Two 20 cuft freezers jam full. I would guess 10 deer or so. Found it when it was room temp and rotten.

paulito

There was a thread about this years ago. Helped me out after a GFIC got tripped on mine during a storm and lost a bunch of meat. Get the Watchman. You can program it however you want. Mine will send me an alert if temp gets above 15 degrees i think or if temp changes by more than 3 or 5 degrees in 5 or 10 minutes i think. Has helped just this year when "someone" left the door cracked and a defrost started. Caught it and no meat lost.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Happened to me several years ago. It was a mess, to say the least. Sickening.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
No, and I ain't gonna talk the magic past that. I have bad dreams about it happening because mine is old.

chiefbaron

ssramage

Yep.

I have had a commercial size stand up freezer for the last 15 years (easily). Bought it back in college from a GON member and it was WELL used at that point. A couple years ago I caught it as it was defrosting in the garage. Ran to Lowe's and bought a chest freezer during the Covid shortage. Moved everything over and saved it all. Next day, the freezer kicked back on and has been running ever since. That freezer has been the best $100 I've ever spent.

I have two freezers in the basement garage and one upstairs. I have sensors in them now that report to a monitor on my fridge upstairs so that I can monitor temps regularly.

hawkeye123

Came back from vacation to a dead freezer..50 lbs of fish..50+ lbs of deer meat..lost 3 ducks was gonna get mounted..beautiful drake wooden & drake & hen green wing teal..I was sick for days from loss & the smell..nasty mess!

SC Hunter

I had a big one go out and lost 50 pounds of elk meat, 50 pounds of deer meat and sausage, a bunch of fish, a whole turkey that was going to the taxidermist and a deer head. It was in July in the shed and HORRIBLE. I went to work and got an SCBA and came home and put the entire thing on a trailer and went to the dump. I opened it and saw brown water and slammed it and went right on to the fire department for the airpack and my mask.