Ever had your freezer go out?

tucker80

Had to replace mine after it happened to us. Tried everything i could think of to clean it. Never ever did get the smell out.

HermanMerman

Look into getting the wireless thermometer to put in your freezer. There is an app that functions with the wireless thermometer and you can set it up to notify you when the temps reach a certain level.

There are several brands out there via Amazon. I have the Goveez.

This is the way to go!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Yep. That’s why I check mine daily.

Put a loaf of bread in the freezer. That will thaw our WAY before the meat so you’ll know the temperature is higher than it should be.

Plus a wireless thermometer

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
In 21 years we’ve had 4 refrigerators and 2 freezers die. Our power use to go out almost weekly til the power company finally ran new lines out here. Luckily I have a stay at home wife, so it’s always been caught before we lost any food. They all have alarms on them now. The last one alarmed at 2.36 in the morning, not fun shuffling freezers that early. A lot of dollars in food in a full freezer.

Hillbilly stalker

I was gifted a stand up freezer that a goober had accidentaly unplugged with a load of frozen catfish in it. Tried everything to get the funk out, charcoal, bleach, vinegar, mixtures, tinctures and everything I could get my hands on, nothing worked. It became a challenge. Wife said “ shouldn’t you see if it runs first” ? Leave me alone woman !!! Finally I was told to wad up a bunch of newspapers and squirt them with a mist of water daily. Three days later…..Odor free. :rockon:. Plugged it up and it was deader than a box of hammers.:banginghe. I never told her she was right:biggrin2:, but the stink was gone.(y). F.Y.I.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
After the derecho we had in 2012, no power and water was on and off, I started canning meats and more vegetables. Me and my neighbor shared a generator, 12 hours each. Camp stove, grills and smokers were working overtime here, neighbors bring me food that was thawing, then I would cook, smoke or grill it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I have an alarm on mine that sends an email when it goes above 25 degrees. You can specify the temp you want, and 25 is good because my freezer cycles above that for defrost occasionally so I know it's working when I get an email. I think my brand is called a watchman from Amazon.

DynamicDennis

So I emptied mine out and put the freezer in my construction dumpster. This morning I saw someone dig it out and take it. I could still smell it even after it was gone.
Close to 20 years ago now, my dad wanted a coyote so he could skin it. I acquired (shot) him a coyote. He asked me to just bag it up and throw it in the freezer, till he had time to skin it. Fast forward 1-2 months, summertime in Florida, she quit working sometime. When I noticed the stinky blood gel dripping out, I taped and ratchet strapped the door shut and put it to the curb. Was not there 10 mins and the scrappers got it. Sure is a tough way to make a $$

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
This thread is a good reminder that I need to buy one of the wireless alarms.

I have had issues a couple times (2 different houses) with the garage GFCI outlet popping, when there was nothing else on the circuit but my freezer. Got in the habit of putting a lamp on in the garage on the circuit that I could see through the kitchen door, and tell if the circuit was on or not. Both times, I replaced the outlet and it fixed the issue.

DynamicDennis

This thread is a good reminder that I need to buy one of the wireless alarms.

I have had issues a couple times (2 different houses) with the garage GFCI outlet popping, when there was nothing else on the circuit but my freezer. Got in the habit of putting a lamp on in the garage on the circuit that I could see through the kitchen door, and tell if the circuit was on or not. Both times, I replaced the outlet and it fixed the issue.
Likewise, I still have the freezer in that pic I posted. Replaced the GFI with one that has an alarm

SC Hunter

Close to 20 years ago now, my dad wanted a coyote so he could skin it. I acquired (shot) him a coyote. He asked me to just bag it up and throw it in the freezer, till he had time to skin it. Fast forward 1-2 months, summertime in Florida, she quit working sometime. When I noticed the stinky blood gel dripping out, I taped and ratchet strapped the door shut and put it to the curb. Was not there 10 mins and the scrappers got it. Sure is a tough way to make a $$
My parents had a big get together one time when I was 15 or 16 years old with the neighbors, raw oysters, watching football and beer drinking. Well the next day we were cleaning up and somehow missed the cooler with about half a bushel of oysters in it. Fast forward a week and I noticed the cooler over by the house and went and looked in it. I threw up immediately. Daddy got home and wrote on top of it "DEAD OYSTERS DO NOT OPEN" and put it by the road. A guy stops by the road later on when daddy was cutting grass. Daddy says the guy looks at the cooler and looks around and picks it up and puts it in his truck. I've often wondered if he really needed that igloo that bad. I've smelled week old dead bodies that didn't smell that bad.

frankwright

My hunting buddy raises beef so I keep two freezers full of beef plus deer and pigs.

I have never had one fail but an alarm would probably be a good idea.