Fairly New to Planting, My Dove/Deer plot (pics) . . .

ChattBuck

. . greatly appreciate all the advice I've gotten here so far. Been a great resource going back and reading a ton of posts the past few weeks. Had a lot of questions answered by you kind folks and I appreciate it. As the kids say, I'm a noob to this but I'm having a ball learning.

I'm up in severe NW GA, 3 miles from TN border. Bought a 38 acre place a couple of years ago fulfilling a lifelong dream to finally own a place that would require me to purchase a tractor. Have about a 15 acre hay field in the front of the property which is relatively flat. Rest of property is wooded along on the side of White Oak Mtn, the tornado here in April 2011 went over the mountain at my farm and I have a LOT of deadfall still scattered through the woods.

Had a local cattle farmer already paying for the hay. But some friends of mine really wanted a dove field so I agreed to give it a shot last year. Wanted to try and do something we could shoot over but that would help with the deer as well.

We tried a small two acre field. Fortunately you learn a lot from your mistakes and we made plenty. But we managed a decent stand of sunflowers and millet and had a few good shoots over it. I then decided to expand the planting and last fall put in 5 acres of winter wheat. It did great and kept the deer happy as they were all over that field all winter.

In late march I sprayed roundup on the edge of the 5 acres of wheat in the field and put strips through middle of it as well. Once that wheat died I tilled it up and we put in 8 rows of corn around field periphery (bought a two row deere 7000 planter last year, 30 inch rows). Did six rows of sunflowers in each of the strips in the middle of the field. Did all that third week of April. Had some setbacks immediately.

1. I had no idea the rabbits, squirrels (primarily), and turkeys would just decimate my corn rows going along and digging them out of the ground in the days following planting.
2. We had two torrential downpours each followed by hot sunny days in the 4-5 days after planting. It formed a "crust" and the sunflowers couldn't come up through it. Bet we didn't get two dozen in the whole field.

Sooooo, two weeks after the original planting I had to replant portions of the corn and all the sunflowers. I put out 250lbs of feed corn around the field edge and it worked. All the wildlife ate it and left the planted stuff alone.

Now my corn is about 12 inches tall and doing pretty good. Sunflowers have started really going good and are all at 6 leaves and about 4-6 inches tall. Sprayed the corn with atrazine three days ago to try and clean it up and the sunflowers (clearfield) got Beyond on them at same time. Finally should quit raining today and get 4-5 days of warm sunshine. Expect things to really shoot up over this week.

Last weekend I cut more strips in the wheat sections, spraying them this weekend with roundup, then tilling and putting in millet in them next weekend.

Probably doing WAYYYYY more work than needed to get some birds but I'm having a whole lot of fun doing it. I've read in several threads others stating the field work is better than the hunting. I think I agree.

At the end of the first session of dove hunting in late Sept I'm going to till it all up but the corn on the periphery, fertilize, lime, and put in radish/brassica/and a little wheat mix for my fall/winter plot. Didn't want to do all wheat two years in a row. Going to to try and rotate what is going in where every year. Hoping to get a good plot that will have the deer coming in good even after the corn is all gone.

Pics are from right after first planting. Buddy I do the field with has a kid with a drone. Going to try and get more shots this weekend and every few weeks going forward.

Attachments

• Dovefield4.png
    Dovefield4.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DoveField5.png
    DoveField5.png
    297.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DoveField6.png
    DoveField6.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Gut_Pile

Good looking field. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Also, dove love wheat from the previous year if you let it mature. Just a thought

ChattBuck

For that reason we are leaving a lot of it standing till mid august when we'll start cutting strips for the dove. As others mentioned here in a thread I asked a question in before, it'll be interesting to see if any of it is left from the deer. They've already started eating the heads off it.

If the deer decimate it I plant to cut it, till it, and legally plant wheat over those sections Sept 1st. Dove opener is Sept 5!

Granted I'll spray and kill whatever comes up at the end of the month but I can legally plant wheat at that time.

Jim Boyd

Love the pics!!!

Drone?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looking good , and u are right , food plotting is a passion

Ihunt

Nice photos

ChattBuck

Some updated pics. Sprayed round up and killed all the weeds in some of the standing mature wheat. Tilled it up today, fertilized, put in millet, did a drag. Hoping it comes in well. Would leave us with approx 1.5 acres standing wheat, 1 acre of millet, 1.5 acres of sunflowers, and 1 acre of corn all in one dove field.

Sunflowers are doing well. First time ever planting corn. It's fair at best. I put down 200 lbs on nitrogen on it a week ago but we've only had one slight rain so not sure it's gotten "going" good yet.

Will definitely do a soil sample late summer and load it up with what's needed in fall. We've just guessed up till now (lots of lime and triple 13).

In the first pic you can see where the Ringgold Tornado in 2011 went over White Oak mtn at the top of my property. I didn't own it then. Lots of 9 year old dead trees and debris in the woods.

Attachments

• DoveField3.1.jpg
    DoveField3.1.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DoveField3.2.jpg
    DoveField3.2.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 41
  • Dovefield3.3.png
    Dovefield3.3.png
    766.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ChattBuck

Thanks to this forum for educating me on the benefit of 34-0-0 for young corn. Put it out over two weeks ago. Got two good rains. My corn is doing much, much better.

Would my sunflowers benefit as well? They're probably all about a foot tall at this point. Thought about putting some on them as well.

Last edited:

ChattBuck

More Drone footage. Millet is the light green. Sunflowers are darker green strips. Corn is on perimeter. Brown is the winter wheat.

Attachments

• June30Dove6.png
    June30Dove6.png
    953.2 KB · Views: 20
  • June30Dove2.png
    June30Dove2.png
    904.1 KB · Views: 19
  • June30Dove4.png
    June30Dove4.png
    950.9 KB · Views: 20
  • June30Dove1.png
    June30Dove1.png