Falcons must...

stonecreek

Quinn is a good defensive coordinator and I hope he does well. Seattle D was tough when he ran it. Hope he succeeds in Dallas.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Hire a GM to hire a coach. As usual King Arthur has waited to late to get one.

He’s too concerned about having press conferences.

Having said that.....Trade the #4 pick to the highest bidder. Amass as many picks as possible. Get a RB (Najee Harris) with their first pick. At least that’s an instant improvement that will set up the rest of the offense.
As long as the don’t draft another punter or kicker, they can’t go wrong with anyone at this point.

stonecreek

They had serious ballers on that D and it of course made Q look better.
Agree that team was loaded with talent which always helps the coaches. The best coaches need talent to execute the game plans. Bellichek is considered the best modern day coach. But he had talent. Could not overcome the lack of talent this year tho.

BornToHuntAndFish

Looks like Falcons officially have a new head coach.

Rumors swirling Falcons identified the next GM they want after team finishes post-season.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-arthur-smith-agree-to-terms-to-be-head-coach

Falcons, Arthur Smith agree to terms to be head coach

The 38-year-old coach has spent the last decade with the Tennessee Titans

Jan 15, 2021 at 04:44 PM

sdwoejanvl3gdcmzhbrp.jpg

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-zeroing-in-on-saints-terry-fontenot-to-be-next-gm

Falcons zeroing in on New Orleans Saints' Terry Fontenot to be next GM

Jan 14, 2021

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/terry-fontenot-the-favorite-to-be-falcons-next-gm-per-report

Terry Fontenot the 'favorite' to be Falcons' next GM, per report

NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport reports that signs point to the Saints vice president/assistant general manager of pro personnel being the choice

Jan 14, 2021

Last edited:

treemanjohn

Banned
Smith is an interesting hire. I am a little surprised they did it before hiring GM. I am sure they already have that 1 locked down also. Just waiting for the season to come to an end

Tight Lines

Looks like Falcons officially have a new head coach.

Rumors swirling Falcons identified the next GM they want after team finishes post-season.

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/falcons-arthur-smith-agree-to-terms-to-be-head-coach

Falcons, Arthur Smith agree to terms to be head coach

The 38-year-old coach has spent the last decade with the Tennessee Titans

Jan 15, 2021 at 04:44 PM

sdwoejanvl3gdcmzhbrp.jpg

https://www.nfl.com/news/falcons-zeroing-in-on-saints-terry-fontenot-to-be-next-gm

Falcons zeroing in on New Orleans Saints' Terry Fontenot to be next GM

Jan 14, 2021

Now the head coach is worth almost as much as the owner...I hear this guy loves to coach...

Whitefeather

Management Material
His father founded FedEx. Maybe he can “deliver” us a winning franchise. ?

BornToHuntAndFish

Now the head coach is worth almost as much as the owner...I hear this guy loves to coach...

Coach has 11-years with Titans, maybe Falcons' owner is hoping to unload Atlanta eventually by having the new HC's billionaire father buy the team. Nice having an HC with a background working in lots of areas of a team.

Fontenot has 16-years with Saints. Sports organizations are usually good about releasing their leaders to move on to better opportunities. Will not surprise me if we learn later that he was consulted about HC Smith & recommending him and/or expressed support for Falcons moving to hire him since they will be working together for at least a few years.

Tight Lines

Coach has 11-years with Titans, maybe Falcons' owner is hoping to unload Atlanta eventually by having the new HC's billionaire father buy the team. Nice having an HC with a background working in lots of areas of a team.

Fontenot has 16-years with Saints. Sports organizations are usually good about releasing their leaders to move on to better opportunities. Will not surprise me if we learn later that he was consulted about HC Smith & recommending him and/or expressed support for Falcons moving to hire him since they will be working together for at least a few years.

I hear good things about him, we need it! I loved Dan as a person, but the man just couldn't get it done...and don't get me started on Dimitroff!

DannyW

Not sure about the GM choice. The Falcons have the third worst salary cap problem in the NFL with a -$32,000,000 problem staring them in the face next season. Want to know the NFL team with the worst salary cap problem? New Orleans....they have to find a way to make up a -$99,000,000 problem.

You don't fix a $99,000,000 problem with 2 or 3 roster moves. New Orleans is going to have to gut their roster before next season. This will set them back 2-3-4 years...maybe longer.

Managing the team salary and cap is a responsibility of the GM.

I bet the New Orleans ownership is GLAD to see him leave.

Last edited:

BornToHuntAndFish

I hear good things about him, we need it! I loved Dan as a person, but the man just couldn't get it done...and don't get me started on Dimitroff!

Yes, lots of good reports going around about him, including this evening local tv sports social media from Titans players like ex-Falcons Harry Douglas saying we got a good one & another saying he holds his players accountable while trying to help them get better.

DQ personally was well liked by all, but not good in delivering results in recent years. Surprised Cowboys picked him up so quickly & that Urban was wanting him for the Jax Jags.

Here's some good background info on Arthur Smith . . .

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/coaches-roster/arthur-smith

Arthur Smith

OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

Biography

Arthur Smith's Coaching Timeline:

Offensive Coordinator
2016-18: Tight Ends, Tennessee Titans
2014-15: Assistant Tight Ends, Tennessee Titans*
2013: Offensive Line/Tight End Assistant, Tennessee Titans
2012: Offensive Assistant/Quality Control, Tennessee Titans
2011: Defensive Assistant/Quality Control, Tennessee Titans
2010: Administrative Assistant/Defensive Intern, University of Mississippi
2007-08: Defensive Assistant/Quality Control, Washington Redskins
2006: Graduate Assistant, University of North Carolina

BornToHuntAndFish

Not sure about the GM choice. The Falcons have the third worst salary cap problem in the NFL with a -$32,000,000 problem staring them in the face next season. Want to know the NFL team with the worst salary cap problem? New Orleans....they have to find a way to make up a -$99,000,000 problem.

You don't fix a $99,000,000 problem with 2 or 3 roster moves. New Orleans is going to have to gut their roster before next season. This will set them back 2-3-4 years...maybe longer.

Managing the team salary and cap is a responsibility of the GM.

I bet the New Orleans ownership is GLAD to see him leave.

Sounds like you're talking about Saints GM Mickey Loomis. Fontenot is only an Assistant GM right now who hopefully learned tough lessons to help Falcons work their way out of bad, high salary cap problems & potentially help Atlanta avoid them in the future.

A week ago or late last week, I heard similar stuff on sports radio about the bottom 3 NFL team worst salary cap problems which also includes the Eagles being 2nd worst behind the Saints so expecting he's probably glad to leave that several year problem for a bit lesser problems in that area.

Teams planning for regular scheduled NFL salary cap increase were significantly hurt by covid with a 2021 decrease making situation even more complicated & troublesome.

Looks like one of his best strengths & experiences is pro scouting & talent acquisitions which is greatly needed for the Falcons.

Appears Falcons getting Fontenot & Smith with lots of good experience has potential to work out well for a long time with them being young & still in their 30's.

Heard others wanting Kansas City Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy (age in low 50's) for Falcons HC, but Atlanta would probably have to wait longer for him since Chiefs are more likely to go further in the playoffs than Saints. Have also heard he has hot temper problems that will not go over well with players.

Here's some helpful background info on Terry Fontenot & other stuff . . .

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/front-office-roster/terry-fontenot

Terry Fontenot

VP/ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER - PRO PERSONNEL

Biography

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/front-office-roster/mickey-loomis

Mickey Loomis

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT/GENERAL MANAGER

Biography

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

NFL Salary Cap Space

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-s...hree-major-consequences-of-projected-decrease

2021 NFL salary cap conundrum: Three major consequences of projected decrease

Dec 01, 2020

When looking at Over the Cap's 2021 projections, 10 teams are already in precarious positions, with expected player payrolls in the red. The New Orleans Saints have one of the most challenging cap situations heading into offseason, as they are $93.7 million over the cap before making any contract adjustments, new signings, etc.

1) Using the franchise tag will become more difficult.

2) Teams with less draft capital may be in for longer periods of hardship.

3) A major threat to veteran roster spots.

treemanjohn

Banned
Derrick Henry was very blah until Vrabel and Smith took over. Smith is a North and South running guy which is what the falcons have needed. The Titans are incredible in the red zone and 3rd down conversions

Fontenot will be a good one

LEGHORN

Uh, have you guys forgotten what team we’re talking about here....it’s the Falcons. They still gonna suck. When they move away from Ryan and dump Julio, I think I will give them a chance and see how they perform.