Fantastic Outdoorsman, Deer Processer and Wonderful Friend Passed Away Yesterday

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I realize that a story such as this is NOT normally posted in a hunting section BUT please read and I hope that you understand just why I posted it here.

His name is Larry Walton and he was a great friend to everyone. He passed away yesterday afternoon while being treated in the Veteran's Hospital here in Augusta. He was always a GREAT Friend to me and even though I knew this day was coming, it still hurts to my very core.

This person lived in the Martin Crossroad area of Lincoln County and near the old Tankersley's Store on Double Branches Road. He also had an established deer processing facility for over 40 years on his property as well. To my knowledge, he never advertised as there were always lots of hunters from Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida that used his facilities for their deer processing and (even hog processing back many years ago). Most all of his business was from friends and word of mouth type adverting.

Maybe some of you members here have used his facility as it was located on his property across the road 1/4 mile from his residence.

He was the ultimate outdoorsman and he was also a veteran as he served in Viet Nam as well. He hunted and fished as if he was in a stealth mode and he was one of the very best "woodsman" that ever walked on this earth. He taught so many of us how to develop our outdoor skills as we were growing up and he continued that legacy over the past 50 plus years that I was involved with him. I was blessed to have him as a friend and having been able to hunt on many occasions with him over these past 50 years now as well. His brother-in-law and I have been BEST friends since we were about 5 years old as we went through 12 years of school together, then went to college together and were roommates then and after college, we became roommates again for a few more years before all of us got married. Of course, we were also the Best Man in each other's weddings.

He and another friend were the ones that back in 2012 helped me to try and trap some wild hogs that were ruining my property. These hogs were too smart as they had apparently been trapped before and would not get within 30 yards of the trap. However, we ultimately trapped a black coyote that turned out to be one of the largest ones ever in Georgia and back then, I posted the story and the photos of this coyote here on this website. Thanks to NICODEMIS, as I then learned of the original "Red Wolves" that previously roamed the area back in the days of explorer William Bartram's exploits around 300 years ago.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear it, Mike.

Nimrod71

I am sorry for your loss. We have all had family and friends to pass on but as long as your remember them and tale their stories they will not be forgotten. As a tribute to your friend and to help others remember him I advise you to write some of your adventures with him down. This way you will have a written record to pass on to your family and his. I am sure he would like it.

wvdawg

Staff member
May God bless. My condolences Mike.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
My Condolences. Rest in Peace, brother warrior.
14731146_1850417978537487_5477217142793390108_n.jpg

Hillbilly stalker

Sorry for your loss........but what a honor to have such a man for a friend.:flag:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So sorry EE. You've had your fair share of adversity over the years and I know losing a dear friend like that hurts badly. Unfortunately I am at the age where that is starting to happen with frequency so I feel your pain.

Doug B.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you are very thankful for the time you got to spend with him.

Tadder

Always remember the good time with him and his memory will live on with you. Sound like a Great fellor . At some time we all will have too meet our maker. Its how we treat folks here and our relation ship with God that counts . He will be missed. We'll keep you and the family in our prayers.

fatback

A life well lived leads to pain and heart ache when it is over for family and friends of the person who has passed away. Sorry for your loss, I hope you are able to take comfort in the memories made and the experiences shared and that as time passes these are what remains for you.

bany

RIP Larry. Nice memorial and sorry for loss sir.