favorite box for flies?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Okay,
i've ordered a BUNCH of flies and am now looking for a box that will hold them without crushing all the little hairs and tails. I've looked at several different boxes( soft and hardshell) that have the foam liners for flies, but they all look too flat.
would it be best to just stick with the Plano boxes and just leave them loose? What are you guys using that won't crush your flies?

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I use several different ones. One for nymphs and streamers, one for tiny dries, and one for bigger dries and attractors, and one for poppers and such. Give it time, you'll own many. I really like the CF designs boxes that have the little treaders in them, to store and have flies ready to tie on. It really helps us old dudes in low light with really small stuff. The planos are ok, but if it is real windy and you open the box, be prepared to watch several, "fly" away. Some of the CFs have a magnetic strip so te flies are loose, but won't jump out! Orvis and a few others have some pretty cool floating boxes wit magnetic closers. I have those too, and really like them also. Buy one type, see if it works for you, ten add on later. Make sure it will fit in what ever type pack, vest, or flats pack you decide you want. Some are just too big for some pockets!

TurkeyH90

box

Scientific Anglers X box I think is the name. It is double sided and I carry dries on one side and nymphs\streamers on the other when I am going minimalist on a long hike.

allenww

I store flies in $4 Plano boxes with the uputemin dividers.

I fish with the smallest Orvis brown plastic box, holds a 20 or so - enough for a day, with a few woolies thrown in in case its tough.

wa

Smallgame

I use Myran fly boxes. They have lots of sizes to choose from. They have brass hinges and nice tight lids. Just google them. They are sold all over. Great fly box.