Feeders in areas with Hogs

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I stake my tripod feeders down with good size rebar and wrap with a strand of 12-2 electrical wire. I have never had a hog knock one over and I have lots of hogs.
do not even consider anything other than a metal barrel. Critters will chew right through the plastic ones.
1Ai4vJV.jpg
If we had had hogs when I was a teenager I would have been in hog heaven
Between shooting and selling them I’d have had it made

Kwab38

Boss Buck Feeder.. We have 2 on our property with a bunch of hogs.. To tall for them to reach and haven't had them knock them over. Deer were eating from them within days.. Hogs have knocked down my WildGame feeder multiple times.. The boss buck comes in gravity and spin feeder style.. we use gravity bc the hogs eat everything on the ground.. my WG spin feeder is my "hog area" thats the only place on property where the feed touches the ground..

I have banks outdoors feeders. Hog and coon proof. I had hogs on my land and put these feeders up and within 2 months I had no hogs on camera. Mounts on a 4x4 post and you can buy different size feeders. Deer eat 300 lbs in 2 weeks out of them on my place. D3A66D4A-7826-424D-9385-5A8B13FD6D80.jpeg

Wifeshusband

They make a supposedly hog proof feeder and you can find it on an internet search. It's all metal and shaped like a piano, where the feed spills out at ("keyboard") deer level. Unfortunately, it costs about as much as a piano; and, if it's like squirrel proof feeders, there's no such thing as "hog proof." I believe they will still come by because of the smell and root around. We are much happier on our place without the feeders. As for 4x4 posts. I have seen hogs wobble these out of plumb, and some to the ground. They rub up against them with their bodies. You would not believe the damage a 300 lb hog can do.

Last edited:

sleepr71

IMO....Unless baiting them,to trap & exterminate....Feeding hogs is just a really bad idea! IF you care about the Deer,Turkey,or the land itself..do whatever you can to ELIMINATE HOGS. They are like giant rodents,that breed like crazy,eat like crazy,and run off desirable wildlife. Not to mention ruining food plots,fields,roads,etc!!

Al White

You'll need to build a circle fence around any feeder if you want to keeps the hogs away from it. Check tractor supply and look at hog panels. Got a few I have to do also, and have used the panels to build a figure 6 trap. Caught em, but they broke out. That said - if i had it set closed they never got in. Deer jump right over it.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
What works best is to put a four foot fence around the feeder using T post. Wide enough to cover most of the area the feeder will sling the feed. Deer and turkeys can get in, hogs will not.

Highintheshoulder

Banks feeder, they can only get what the deer drop or birds, its not coon proof. MFDC0253 (1).JPG

Al White

i run banks feeders, and trust me the hogs will figure out that they can rub against it, prop the front feet up on it - they will get it.

HughW2

So, does anyone have suggestions what to do if you have both bears and hogs on your land? I have both and was guessing that a bear could destroy most feeders.

longrangedog

My experience is that if you attract hogs by putting out corn you'll see less deer. The deer don't stay in areas with large hog populations. You can fence hogs away from your feeder but not bears. Wish I knew the solution to bears tearing feeders up.