Feral pigs babies?

Wayne D Davis

I knew a guy years ago that would drive to Alabama and pick up a couple piglets from a farm. He'd raise them on discarded food from the dumpsters behind grocery stores. They grow super fast on outdated fruit veggies and bread

My daddy said back in the depression nobody kept hogs where he lived they would trap them cut them and feed them up and go to town and sell them

across the river

But the facility license would be required as well to keep a pig.

And no one is going to have the time or money to go through the effort to "Transport" a couple of pigs.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
@C.Killmaster
I think he said yes but goodluck getting that permit approval.

It's no trouble to get the permit if you have a facility that adequate to keep them from escaping. I would be a hassle to go through for just a couple of pigs though. It's best to just kill all feral hogs in the field and get a pink porky if you want to raise one.

sleepr71

Do the environment & your deer herd a favor...Build a Corral trap & catch + euthanize the Whole Sounder! That whole notion of Coyotes & other predators catching piglets...usually does not work out?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Back in the 80’s we caught a piglet. My friend kept and fed it scraps and leftovers and I think dog chow...... was butchered bout 6 months later. His cur/pit actually caught the piglet by holding it down with its paw.......not a scratch on the little piglet! what an amazing site!
Back then things were a little different though.....this was near Myakka FL. and it seemed everyone did it. Never heard of All the disease we do now.

Okie Hog

Beginning in October one of our properties slowly became overrun with little pigs and their mommas. Over sixty small pigs and four sows have been killed there by myself and friend. Someone else, probably the neighbors, has also killed some sows.

Last year i killed about 90 small pigs.

Live hogs don't leave our traps:

Some OK hogs:

xnPjbO7l.jpg

Last edited:

rosewood

Never heard of All the disease we do now.

I don't think it is just about the diseases. It is also about keeping the hogs from spreading even more. The transportation is about those that will catch them and then release them on another property. The hogs are multiplying and we need to stop their invasive growth in our state. Many that will catch the wild ones and pen them up, will end up having them escape and then we are right back where we started with a new crop in a new area. Seems the wild ones are better escape artist than domesticated ones.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member