Government groceries.

Hillbilly stalker

Well it’s that time of year that we go on a meat run down towards the low country. We drag a camper down there and stay for 3-4 days. It’s kind of a vacation for us. I’ve described it before, but this WMA is kinda special. It’s long and kinda skinny, a river cuts it off on the end and both sides of it are bordered by private clubs who bait and run deer and hog dogs. The critters that are still alive pretty much have the equivalent of a college education. Their slick. We got down there late Wednesday and only had about 1 1/2 of daylight, so we went to a place we had hunted several times. Man they were acorns everywhere, it was like walking in gravel. Neither one of us saw a thing. I found a good feed tree with a wallow and a ton of tracks, but no varmints. The trees are surrounded by cane thickets. I heard a hog come in behind me, but I’m pretty sure they have learned to circle a feed tree before coming in during daylight. He busted out there as soon as soon as he cut my wind. I had a good wind, so I tried the same spot the next morning, no luck. I’m not used to going 2 or 3 times and not at least seeing something, so as always…..it boils down to scouting. I laced up my boots and took off scouting, covering ground. I found something I liked, so I had a plan for the next morning. Well my buddy cut across the road and he wasn’t 10 minutes in and missed a doe. I sat down on a log for 5 minutes in the area I had picked and had a hog about 200lbs. come trotting thru. I picked a little gap in the trees and waited for his nose to come thru……boom yow !!!! You couldn’t have drove his nose in the ground and harder if you had hit him with a bush axe. I walked up there and checked him out, it was about a 65 yard shot I reckon, caught him right under the eye with that little 95 grain .243 Deer season. I looked up and could see the club that bordered that side had clear cut a bunch of land recently. I thought to myself, that’s fresh eating for all the deer and hogs. I eased up there to take a peak, there’s a real thick old cutover on the WMA at the corner. I knew it would be a good pinch point considering there was a low spot there too. I wasn’t there 2 minutes and 2 busted up bucks came walking out of the new cutover headed to the old one with cover. Game on ! I put the old crosshairs right behind the shoulder and let her eat. The deer cowboy kicked and ran right to me. It was about a 80 yard shot. The deer stood in front of me at about 15 feet and looked around. I thought they ain’t no way I missed that deer, but I stood there behind a skinny tree looking at him and didn’t see him bleeding. Finally he trotted past me close enough that I could have grabbed a horn…and he trotted on off. He was flicking his tail real funny, so I new he was hurt bad. I have him about 10 minutes and started tracking him. The leaves were wet and it was pretty open, I knew I wouldnt push him. I tracked that rascal about another 180 yards. If you look at the picture, I hit him perfect with a good exit wound, Ronnie Milsap could have tracked him. Funny how bullets work, stomp a hog, smoke a scrawny deer and have to track. I put my buddy in the same spot the next day and he killed the other buck and a pretty good boar hog himself. It made for a pretty good grocery run and we ate like kings. 2 deer and 2 hogs. Cooler full, where’s them squirrels now ?IMG_8896.jpegIMG_1538.jpegIMG_2692.pngIMG_2691.png

Latest posts