Few Streamers

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Did a little tying yesterday.

Lynch's Drunk and Disorderly. Closest thing to a Rapala jerkbait you can tie onto a fly rod, probably.

d&d.jpg

A few Clousers, a Bennet's Lunch Money (one of my favorite streamers,) and an old pattern called a Red and White Hackle, aka Sea-ducer. Never tried the Red and White Hackle, but I've read that it was a favorite bass fly of Lefty Kreh and Bob Clouser, so that makes it worth a try in my book.

streamers.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mighty nice. I especially that first one.
They take awhile to tie, but they're deadly for smallmouth and big brown trout. I bet shoalies would like them too. They're articulated, and you bend the front third of the front hook down at about a 60* angle to make a diving lip out of the flat-trimmed spun deer hair head.

I'd love to get down your way and catch a shoal bass sometime.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
They take awhile to tie, but they're deadly for smallmouth and big brown trout. I bet shoalies would like them too. They're articulated, and you bend the front third of the front hook down at about a 60* angle to make a diving lip out of the flat-trimmed spun deer hair head.

I'd love to get down your way and catch a shoal bass sometime.

We`ll try to do that next summer. I`ll be able top get around good then. Shoal bass would jump all over that thing.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Very nice ties I’ve got a Sage Bass that would work well for that size fly. I use it to fish six inch long flys for bass.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice ties I’ve got a Sage Bass that would work well for that size fly. I use it to fish six inch long flys for bass.
I do most of my streamer fishing with a 9' 7wt TFO Lefty Kreh signature rod.

trad bow

I would prefer that TFO Rod if this rod and a nine wt. my shoulder can’t handle moved on down the creek.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would prefer that TFO Rod if this rod and a nine wt. my shoulder can’t handle moved on down the creek.
Most of those Sage rods are pretty light. Or they sure ought to be for what they cost.

trad bow

That sage bass weighs a good bit but I also have a Ross cla 5 on it.

OwlRNothing

Lynch's Drunk and Disorderly. Closest thing to a Rapala jerkbait you can tie onto a fly rod, probably.

View attachment 1169836

A few Clousers, a Bennet's Lunch Money (one of my favorite streamers,) and an old pattern called a Red and White Hackle, aka Sea-ducer. Never tried the Red and White Hackle, but I've read that it was a favorite bass fly of Lefty Kreh and Bob Clouser, so that makes it worth a try in my book.

View attachment 1169837
Fantastic job. Love 'em.

trout maharishi

Good uns! That big deer head will push a lot of water and get some attention. The blending of the colors on a couple of those Clouser type flies is perfect. I use to skate a big dry fly like the red and white one. It would often draw strikes or slashes from bigger fish so I could come back later and catch them on a big nymph or streamer.

Last edited:

Concrete Pete

View attachment 1169836

View attachment 1169837
That D N D is awesome. How hard was it to learn to tie? I want to do some smaller ones.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That D N D is awesome. How hard was it to learn to tie? I want to do some smaller ones.
They're not too bad if you already know the individual skills like spinning deer hair and joining articulated streamers. The rest is just wrapping chenille and bunny strips, and tying on flank feathers. There are several good videos on YouTube. The only tricky part is spinning and shaping the deer hair head. The shape is important, as it gives the fly its diving, darting action. Also, the front third of the front hook is bent down at about a 60* angle. You can either but 60* jig hooks, or just bend it down with a pair of pliers.

The standard ones are huge, the ones I usually tie are the "mini," about as small as you can practically go with the materials. This one has a #4 Gamakatsu stinger as the front hook, and a #6 stinger as the back. I'm going to try some with a #6/#8, but the length of the fur on the wrapped bunny strips is going to be a bit long for the #8, might have to use pine squirrel strips on the rear.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good uns! That big deer head will push a lot of water and get some attention. The blending of the colors on a couple of those Clouser type flies is perfect. I use to skate a big dry fly like the red and white one. It would often draw strikes or slashes from bigger fish so I could come back later and catch them on a big nymph or streamer.
It's just really hard to beat those Clousers for overall fish catching. Simple, nothing fancy, but they just flat-out work. Ol' Bob knew what he was doing when he designed those.

Concrete Pete

They're not too bad if you already know the individual skills like spinning deer hair and joining articulated streamers. The rest is just wrapping chenille and bunny strips, and tying on flank feathers. There are several good videos on YouTube. The only tricky part is spinning and shaping the deer hair head. The shape is important, as it gives the fly its diving, darting action. Also, the front third of the front hook is bent down at about a 60* angle. You can either but 60* jig hooks, or just bend it down with a pair of pliers.

The standard ones are huge, the ones I usually tie are the "mini," about as small as you can practically go with the materials. This one has a #4 Gamakatsu stinger as the front hook, and a #6 stinger as the back. I'm going to try some with a #6/#8, but the length of the fur on the wrapped bunny strips is going to be a bit long for the #8, might have to use pine squirrel strips on the rear.

Thank you!

Concrete Pete

What size rod do you like to throw the D n D with and what do you normally catch with them?

I’m gonna try to throw a size 4 from a 6 weight on a sink tip this week.

We’ve had almost daily showers and streamers have been producing for me on the Chattahoochee lately.

I’m just going to be experimenting with streamers this week.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What size rod do you like to throw the D n D with and what do you normally catch with them?

I’m gonna try to throw a size 4 from a 6 weight on a sink tip this week.

We’ve had almost daily showers and streamers have been producing for me on the Chattahoochee lately.

I’m just going to be experimenting with streamers this week.
I'm usually throwing streamers on a 7 weight, but a 6 would do fine. D&Ds will catch any predatory fish, but smallmouth bass and brown trout are my main targets.

Latest posts