S.E. Ga- 24-25

JFJ

Hello. My name is Johnny Lance(jr). I was born in Macon Ga. I was brought to Fl at 1 yr old. Been there since. I'm now 57 and about to move back to (S.E.) GA. (Brantley co.) in a few months with my wife and our 2 yr old grandson who we help raise. I see there are several wma's in the area within 50 miles I will be looking into. Any suggestions on which ones are over run with hogs? I like to go after them with my .44 mag pistol.
Also, my wife and I both hunt with crossbows in Fl. Wma's since we have handicap crossbow permits. What are the rules in Ga. for crossbows on wma's? I'm not gonna ask which wma's to hunt, I will do my own research, but can anyone tell me if there are ones We should stay away from so we don't waste our time? I sincerely appreciate any info and look forward to spending some time in my native woods and meet some new people.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531_155841_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240531_155841_Photos.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 90

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Welcome back to Georgia @JFJ crossbows are allowed anywhere archery hunting is allowed and on firearms or primitive weapons hunts as long as you wear the required safety orange. Some management areas are archery only and some are quota only for firearms so pay attention to that as well. On another note, you will only be allowed to hunt with the pistol on firearms hunts, it can’t be used on archery hunts or on primitive weapons hunts. You can kill hogs with small game weapons during small game seasons, which would include the crossbows but not the pistol. Also during the month of May we do have a hog and coyote season that runs for a couple of weeks in which and forearm is legal.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Welcome back to Ga and to our forum . I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of your area but I do know it’s got plenty of public land . I’ve heard on here that Altamaha wma has plenty of hogs . Not sure how far it is from Brantley co but Tuckahoe is also known for hogs . Good luck and hang around here and do some searching and I bet you’ll find what u are looking for

Blackston

Clayhole has plenty and is close , altamaha waterfowl management area has the most I’ve ever seen ( don’t know the legality of hunting them there ) You won’t be far from the Big swamp ( okeefenoke ) . If hogs is what ya want ya comin to the right spot . I’d get me a boat and wage war on em .

JFJ

Welcome back to Georgia @JFJ crossbows are allowed anywhere archery hunting is allowed and on firearms or primitive weapons hunts as long as you wear the required safety orange. Some management areas are archery only and some are quota only for firearms so pay attention to that as well. On another note, you will only be allowed to hunt with the pistol on firearms hunts, it can’t be used on archery hunts or on primitive weapons hunts. You can kill hogs with small game weapons during small game seasons, which would include the crossbows but not the pistol. Also during the month of May we do have a hog and coyote season that runs for a couple of weeks in which and forearm is legal.
Thank you.

JFJ

Welcome back to Ga and to our forum . I don’t have any firsthand knowledge of your area but I do know it’s got plenty of public land . I’ve heard on here that Altamaha wma has plenty of hogs . Not sure how far it is from Brantley co but Tuckahoe is also known for hogs . Good luck and hang around here and do some searching and I bet you’ll find what u are looking for
Thank you.

JFJ

Clayhole has plenty and is close , altamaha waterfowl management area has the most I’ve ever seen ( don’t know the legality of hunting them there ) You won’t be far from the Big swamp ( okeefenoke ) . If hogs is what ya want ya comin to the right spot . I’d get me a boat and wage war on em .
I'll check those out. I'm glad to hear this is a good area for hogs.

JFJ

Don’t forget Fort Steward bunch of game there and the place goes on forever!
I have some friends that would drive up from jax fl a few times each season to hunt there.
How much does a permit there cost for ga. Residents?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
You can use a 22 mag pistol during small game for hogs if you prefer pistols and hogs. Just nothing centerfired anymore.

JFJ

You can use a 22 mag pistol during small game for hogs if you prefer pistols and hogs. Just nothing centerfired anymore.
Thank you. They made center fire "rifles" (wording) illegal for hogs during small game season in Florida a few years ago. We could still use center fire "pistols". Dang it! I know a .22 mag will kill a hog, but it won't "stop" a charging one.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thank you. They made center fire "rifles" (wording) illegal for hogs during small game season in Florida a few years ago. We could still use center fire "pistols". Dang it! I know a .22 mag will kill a hog, but it won't "stop" a charging one.
Shotguns are legal in small game season...