Figure 6 corral trap

firewalker78

How many of you guys use this type trap and how successful is it for you? Seems to be a good option to thin out the herd some. I just finished up one yesterday. I have read about hogs getting wary of you shoot the trapped ones in the trap? Just curious to others thoughts and experience with it. Was trying to upload photos or video but haven't been able to so far.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I loved mine. Always killed em all. Would have more the next day. I think they would walk through a taser to get to sour corn though.

firewalker78

I loved mine. Always killed em all. Would have more the next day. I think they would walk through a taser to get to sour corn though.

When you sour yours, do you just use water and put it in a bucket? Or do you add Kool aid, Jello, beer or any of that extra?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I always just used water. Have heard some weird things about used motor oil on the t-posts or nearby trees attracting them too but couldn't bring myself to try. Not the most eco-friendly baiting tactic in the world.

Hillbilly stalker

Have y’all tried a sack of ground molasses from the feed store ? I put a scoop of it in my coon feeders and it’s like crack cocaine to them. It’s sweet as sweet can be. $20 a bag, goes along long way.

frankwright

Have y’all tried a sack of ground molasses from the feed store ? I put a scoop of it in my coon feeders and it’s like crack cocaine to them. It’s sweet as sweet can be. $20 a bag, goes along long way.
MY hunting partner has horses and cattle. He brought a partial bag of that molasses feed and dumped it out by a creek.
Hogs tore that area up for the next six months! It seemed to drive them crazy and must have gotten into the soil too!

Darkhorse

I've shot a lot of them in the trap. After a couple of weeks, especially with some rain, I would start baiting again and catching some right off. I think this works better with the larger traps.

firewalker78

The one I built is a figure 6 with 4 panels so it's a good sized one. I'm debating whether to wire the door open for a bit to get them used to coming in but I'm not set on it yet.

greene_dawg

Best 300 dollars our club has spent. Bait the site for 2 weeks, build the trap and leave it open for two weeks, set it, prepare to do some work. We have killed over 40 this year alone in Laurens County without hardly trying.

firewalker78

I ended up using a string and root stick so when they come in it's open and then once they start rooting around they trip the door. Caught my first 3 yesterday. Once again can't upload photos, anyone tell me why every file I attach is too large?? Got some corn souring right now to help draw some more in.

Horns

I ended up using a string and root stick so when they come in it's open and then once they start rooting around they trip the door. Caught my first 3 yesterday. Once again can't upload photos, anyone tell me why every file I attach is too large?? Got some corn souring right now to help draw some more in.
Pictures are too big for file. If on a phone, get a picture resizing app. I use one called Image Size. Works well

greene_dawg

We have done this as well. Place the string high enough that the little ones don't trip it. They are always the first to go in.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

No need to use an app. Now you can just “Edit” the phot and save it. Make ANY change and save it. I usually adjust temperature or something unnoticeable. Save it. When you select the image to post, you should have a “choose size” option at he bottom. Click that and choose medium and it should work. DO NOT use thumbnails, use the other option.........try that.

Darkhorse

The one I built is a figure 6 with 4 panels so it's a good sized one. I'm debating whether to wire the door open for a bit to get them used to coming in but I'm not set on it yet.
That's what I did. And set up a game camera to keep track of how many were coming into the trap and when to set the door again.
My trap was big enough that I ran a cord through pullies then up to the stick. This cord was run maybe across the back 3rd or 4th of the trap. I baited heavy in front of the cord to keep them there, and a little less on the other side, eventually something would sample that corn in the back and trip the wire. By that time most of them were in the trap.

longrangedog

Good advise from Darkhorse. I caught a sow with 5 pigs this week (total for last 12 months- 36) after watching them come and go for 3 nights. Main bait pile near the trigger but smaller piles (2) off to each side to give time for all to get in the trap before the trigger hit.

Darkhorse

I never noticed where hog blood alerted the live ones either. I caught and removed a lot of them alive and I think the human scent does a better job at keeping them out of the trap.